Treating wood before use?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albino-keeper

Reaction score
Hi,

10+ years ago when I got my first reptile I had some bearded dragons and a guy told me that if I wanted to put a log in their enclosure just leave it in a bag with some moth balls for some time never had any issues. Since then I stopped keeping and just within the last couple years started keeping snakes again I've been using PVC for them to climb on but now would like to add some logs to my diamond enclosure just curious is this way right to treat wood before use or is there another way?

People use lots of different ways to "treat" logs/branches. Really all you need to do is to leave it sit in the sun for a day or two (I've even left one in the garage once during winter), and it should be fine.

I would avoid the mothballs or any other chemicals. Inside a black plastic bag in the sun for a couple of days should cook any nasties.

I have used some large pieces of bamboo from Bunnings in one of my enclosures. Depends on the look you are after.

If you are using a smooth-barked timbe,r with no holes or hollows for ants or wasp pupae etc to hide in, then you don't need to clean it at all, other than remove any loose bark. If it is rough or cracked or has hollows, then putting it in a tied-off large black plastic bin bag left in the sun for 2 or 3 days, as Wokka suggested, will do the trick. If you give it a bit of a hose-down first, then the residual moisture will help to absorb and spread the heat, making the solar sterilization even more effective.

If you do intend to use hollow limbs , depending on their size, they might be best run through a band saw to half them and then wired, latched or screwed back together - so you can gain ready access to animals if the need rises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back