Cancer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andynic07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This is my diamond/coastal python that I have had since 2012. The first picture was taken 2 weeks ago.

The second was taken on 8th of May this year when I noticed a small lump on her.
The third picture is of the increase in size of the lump and was taken on the 10 th of May.
At this point I realised that something was very wrong with her and noticed slight muscle weakness.

I had stopped feeding her on the 15th April to prepare for winter cooling. Not to breed as she had her first clutch the year before.

She was booked into see my vet Joshua Llinas for Monday the 16th which was the first available day for me due to work.

She was checked and had an ultrasound which revealed a lot of irregularities with the liver and some other locations within her. Samples were taken from the liver and it was determined that it wasn't bacterial and most likely cancer.

At this point after the sample she became weak and lifeless. This is fairly normal for this procedure on a failing liver. Also an amount of bile was produced from the cloaca at this time.

A few options were discussed and all ended in a bad way for her. Euthanasia was considered the most humane option and she was put to rest.

The next picture is her the liver . This liver is very abnormal . The capsule is very thickened and it is not its normal reddish brown colour but instead severely mottled

The next picture is of the liver transected. You can see it is not a uniform tissue.

The next picture is the heart and it has a tumour growing from the apex of the ventricle.

The next picture is the kidney . It was infiltrated with tumour cells and had multiple haemorrhaged areas.

Josh sent me this message that afternoon

"Hi Andrew . So sorry about today . I have finished the post mortem and there was cancer in the entire liver , the kidneys, a mass In the stomach and a early growth on the heart . I have photos if you wanted to see the affected organs . I am truly amazed by how well they can seem with so much pathology .it was definitely the right decision at the right time ."
The prognosis was disseminated lymphoma. She was our much loved pet and I would have paid for any options available if there were any viable options.

I would like to say how great Josh was through all of this.

RIP Steve.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry for your loss, Andy.
We lost our first snake that way. She had a lump, that a "reptile" vet told us was nothing to worry about, despite him taking samples and giving antibiotics. Several weeks later, our bredli had a seizure, and died in a matter of minutes. A necropsy done by another vet showed she was riddled with cancer.
Needless to say, we've changed vets.

RIP, she is a beautiful Python and cancer is a terrible way to go. Sorry for your loss.

Well even if she was alive I would have to steal her from you ;)

I was lucky enough to breed her last season to her brother pictured below so I do have 15 babies to remember her by.

image.jpg

R.I.P, she seemed like an amazing animal and its a very sad way in how she died, at least you have some of her hatchies to remember her by...

[MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION], So sorry to hear about Steve mate, he was a beautiful joe blake and did not deserve an end like that, it is good you will have a pick of the 15 worms to replace him (not that it is possible to replace such a great animal) but life goes on mate and i am sure you will give as much care to the rest as you did Steve. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back