The Boiga Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of two new boigas i have recently acquired (the other is in shed and i'll post pics of it when i can) 20160604_162506.jpg20160604_164633.jpg20160604_164720.jpg

Umm forgive the questions of an ignorant person who is only a mere spotted python owner, but what is a Boiga? A snake. Obviously, but what kind of snake? Are they actually called boigas, or is that like a shortening of their Latin name in the same way that people call spiny tailed monitors ackies? Are they venomous?

Whatever they are I like them. They are all very pretty, and I love their goofy giant eyes. Thank you all for sharing your pictures and introducing me to yet another beautiful snake.

They are mildly venomous colubrid from Asia and Australia, introduced to Guam. Boiga is the genus name and they are called cat snakes

Umm forgive the questions of an ignorant person who is only a mere spotted python owner, but what is a Boiga? A snake. Obviously, but what kind of snake? Are they actually called boigas, or is that like a shortening of their Latin name in the same way that people call spiny tailed monitors ackies? Are they venomous?

Whatever they are I like them. They are all very pretty, and I love their goofy giant eyes. Thank you all for sharing your pictures and introducing me to yet another beautiful snake.

They have a wide variety of common names from Night tiger to Dolls eye snake but their real name is "Boiga irregularis" and they are a colubrid (tree snake).

Thank you. Night tiger sounds familiar, probably from the reptile park.

While they hey are beautiful and I am tempted, I don't think I'll ever be courageous enough to own a venomous snake - even if they only are mildly venomous and only sting a little. In saying that, I'm now going to google night tigers, and their care, just for fun.

Stunning. You take some wicked photos andynic!

Now I want one. Stuart what experience level would you say one needs before attempting one of these beauties? How is there temperament. There venom is only capable of localized swelling right?

[MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION], some may disagree with me but I personally think that any keen Herp keeper who has about a years experience with Morelia will be fine with these guys.
They are fast and temperamental and are no way a handling snake but I believe a keeper with a decent head on their shoulders will be fine with them.

Oh I think I'll have to get a pair in the future when I have the room! They look stunning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back