Temperature Isssues for jungle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trin_007

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Since I've changed our substrate from bark/coconut husk to newspaper, and winter arrived about 10 days ago in Queensland, I've had troubles maintaining temps in our enclosure. At first i thought the digital thermometer was faulty as temps dropped from 24-32 daily down to just 22-25. I've put a cover across the top to try to keep the heat and humidity in but it doesn't seem to be working. I've now put a blanket around his cool hide end where he sleeps at night but I've noticed he is spending a lot more of his day down under his heat lampwhere the ground temp is closer to 24-28.

So, when i bought this set up, the seller also provided a 40W URS Ultimate Heart Mat but i don't where to put it. It is too wide (40x60cm) for the tank which is only 35 cm wide. So can i just put it right under the tank, which is currently sitting on top of a wooden chest? Does it need any insulation between the chest and the mat, or if i put it inside does it matter if the edges are curled up a bit and is it safe to put the mat under newspaper as a substrate? And finally (for now) should i put the mat under his hide or elsewhere in the tank. ...?

i dont think it is good to bend the mat up the sides so it fits. Is the cage an all glass tank/ if so you will be losing most of your heat through the glass which is not very insulative. You could insulate the sides as well with styrofoam or cardboard. i would buy a smaller heat mat, probably 15-20 watt, so that about half the floor is warm and half ambient.You will not waste as much heat if the snake can contact the heat source as opposed to having the heat travel through the air. you should have two hides- one in the hot end of the cage and one in the cool end.

I would buy a smaller mat so it covers half your enclosure and half with no heating at all so your snake can move into the cooler area if it needs to.
If you are going to place the mat under your enclosure on top of the wooden chest it will crack the wood as I have experienced twice.
i would also hook up a thermostat to control the heat mat so it doesn't over heat - I have seen heat mats without thermostats overheat and start fires
Once again just my experience

Thanks for the info and tips Wokka & Wallo. I'll check out other mats and make sure not to put it on the timber chest!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Why not give him a rest for a few months with lower temps as happens in the wild. Save on food, electricity and have a healthier pet.

I must say i am a little more blase rather than pedantic about the temperatures - providing it is not extreme at either end of the scale. .....as you say. ..what happens in the wild!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back