Enclosure heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heat mat

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Under tank heating via heat mats or heat cord it the most cost effective and works very well and is what i use for my Stimson's.

heat mat

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under tank heating via heat mats or heat cord it the most cost effective and works very well and is what i use for my Stimson's.

Thank you

heat mat

Thank you

heat mat

Thank you

One of my enclosures is a malomine unit, any idea of the best way to heat it. I have blown two heat mats so I have put the heat mat between two wall tiles. My female Stimmson is currently under the heat mat, I am not sure why. Is this normal or is she cold, the temp is set at 30c to 32c. My other enclosure for our male Stimson is glass and that seems OK with the heat mat.
:?

One of my enclosures is a malomine unit, any idea of the best way to heat it. I have blown two heat mats so I have put the heat mat between two wall tiles. My female Stimmson is currently under the heat mat, I am not sure why. Is this normal or is she cold, the temp is set at 30c to 32c. My other enclosure for our male Stimson is glass and that seems OK with the heat mat.
:?

I'm doing the heat cable between 2 tiles 50 watt with thermostat

31fb9555611d5c070543821dfd179ccd.jpg

Thermostats regulate temperature. You will need a thermometer to read the temperature and possibly calibrate the thermostat. Infrared thermometers are good because you can determine the temperature of the heated tile as well as the ambient areas of the tank, and then the snake itself. It is likely that a 50 watt cord will get too hot so if the thermostat fails the tile could get too hot and burn the snake. As a general rule use the lowest wattage required to achieve the desired temperature. You may be able to reduce the heat by adding additional tiles on top which with further dissipate the heat and increase the thermal mass which should even out the temperature. I achieve 34C above a 13 watt mat under a 450 x 450 tile. The mat is about 250 x 350mm in one corner of the tile, so the heat gradient is across the tile to the unheated section and the snake can chose the desired temperature.In your design the whole tile is heated so there will not be a gradient across the tile. Perhaps a lower wattage heat source under only part of the tile would be better. You might find putting a 600mm x 600mm tile on top provides a gradient as some of that tile wont be heated directly.

Last edited:
I was told to have 2 hides one at the warmer end and one at cooler end so the [emoji216]could move to whatever area area it needed, was concerned since I'm not using heat lamps that the enclosure might not be warm enough, maybe I misread that the temp of tiles at the warm end would also help to warm the air in the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back