Is taking my pet python out in public illegal [NSW]

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggster

Reaction score
I've had mixed answers.
If it is illegal, could you point me in the direction of the actual law?

I don't make a habit of bringing him out- the first time was a complete accident to the pet shop (which had an 'all pets allowed' policy), and at a later date I brought him out so I could better size the rodents I wanted for him.

now it's a fortnightly thing- the employees love the little guy, and (believe it or not), Buggster honestly seems to enjoy his outings.

i don't see any reason it should be however. He's a Stimson's and can't even break the skin of he did bite (and in the 2 years I've had him, not even a strike). My dogs could do a hell of a lot more damage without even trying...

Something to consider when displaying snakes in a public environment is that there may be people that aren't comfortable being around them. That being said, it is illegal to display a reptile in public here in Vic without the appropriate licence. I'd imagine NSW would have similar conditions. Check with the relevant department, a quick search on their website should give you the answer.

I'm not so much as 'displaying' him, as taking him out for a bit of sun.
He's usually tucked himself away in a pocket, or around my neck and in my hood.
Amd honestly, if people are afraid, they can move away.
I've been told I'm not allowed to walk my dog by a frightening (not to mention rude) member of public on the sole basis she was a German Shepherd.

I've read through the Code of Practise for the Private Keeping of Reptiles (all 38 pages) and did not find any mention of snakes not being allowed in public places.

Illegal unless taking to a vet or to a herp society meeting.Even then they have to be bagged while being transported.

Even the act of taking him out somewhere that isn't a vet/herp thing is considered 'displaying', well by the law anyway. Even still, it's just generally safer to no take reptiles in public places anyway. It would be best to clarify the laws by emailing/phoning the NSW wildlife license department. It's better to get a solid yes or no answer, as opposed to continuously taking him out then having the wrong person complain to the wildlife department and possibly getting you in trouble, although this would be an extreme reaction, it's not worth the risk.

Yeah, I'll probably shoot them an email just to be on the safe side.

Have a look at General Condition 1. of your licence conditions if you're in NSW. The first two sentences couldn't be clearer... What you are doing could easily be construed as showing off, justified by your suggestion that the snake (believe it or not) seems to enjoy his outings.

Jamie

Illegal.. unless of course you take it to the beach and throw it around that way you will only get on the news and be praised by social media.

Illegal.. unless of course you take it to the beach and throw it around that way you will only get on the news and be praised by social media.

Another thing that got me so confused- this guy is all over the Internet and what he is doing seems to be 'fine'.

Hey Buggster,

Despite your belief that the snake enjoys its outings, and as Jamie has stated, it is absolutely illegal unless you are transporting it to a vet or herp society. It is also illegal to transport it in a pocket or hoody. To do this also shows a lack of duty of care for your snake.

George.

Another thing that got me so confused- this guy is all over the Internet and what he is doing seems to be 'fine'.

It appears you didn't look too much into the scenario. The snake was taken by the authorities and his license was revoked.

Although you're not wrong in the sense that people that are scared can move away, please remember there are individuals with debilitating phobias of snakes. It's not fair on them, your animal and every other reptile keeper that does the right thing if you get in trouble by taking your snake for outings. I'm sure there are plenty of people that still think reptile keeping is a stupid hobby and would like to see it stopped... it's definitely preferable not to give them an opportunity to bring something against us. Snakes are not domesticated animals, it's a privilege to keep such amazing Australian wildlife.

and don't get me wrong, I used to be a keeper just like you. Excited to have a cool snake and couldn't understand why everyone else wouldn't want to meet her either. Unfortunately such a thing is against the law and looks terrible for us as a community.

It appears you didn't look too much into the scenario. The snake was taken by the authorities and his license was revoked.

Although you're not wrong in the sense that people that are scared can move away, please remember there are individuals with debilitating phobias of snakes. It's not fair on them, your animal and every other reptile keeper that does the right thing if you get in trouble by taking your snake for outings. I'm sure there are plenty of people that still think reptile keeping is a stupid hobby and would like to see it stopped... it's definitely preferable not to give them an opportunity to bring something against us. Snakes are not domesticated animals, it's a privilege to keep such amazing Australian wildlife.

and don't get me wrong, I used to be a keeper just like you. Excited to have a cool snake and couldn't understand why everyone else wouldn't want to meet her either. Unfortunately such a thing is against the law and looks terrible for us as a community.

fair enough.
what of taking him into a pet store? The store has an 'all pets allowed' policy, and the workers their don't mind me bringing him.
Would this be a case of each individual store having their own policy, or would I still not be able to bring him?

A great point, people are always looking for ways to tear the community apart, bringing reptiles into the public is a great way to start. I had no idea that the guy who made the video got his license revoked, shows that a ignoring what appears to be an simple law can have dire consequences.

fair enough.
what of taking him into a pet store? The store has an 'all pets allowed' policy, and the workers their don't mind me bringing him.
Would this be a case of each individual store having their own policy, or would I still not be able to bring him?

A petstores policy does not override the law.
It is a law, not a guideline.

So plain and simple, no exceptions, unless your licensed animal is going to a vet or a new legal home, you can't be taking them out and about unless you have permission to do so from the government agency your license is with.

Sure everything might be great and dandy 99% of the time, but that 1%...

*this all seems blunter than intended as I'm tired, just being direct to simplify it, not to be a bum.

fair enough.

Hey Buggster, it's still against your licensing conditions to take them out, as per what Pythoninfinite says earlier in this thread. Certainly unfortunate when it's exciting to show others cool pets, but it's just safer all around to keep them at home =)

A petstores policy does not override the law.
It is a law, not a guideline.

So plain and simple, no exceptions, unless your licensed animal is going to a vet or a new legal home, you can't be taking them out and about unless you have permission to do so from the government agency your license is with.

Sure everything might be great and dandy 99% of the time, but that 1%...

*this all seems blunter than intended as I'm tired, just being direct to simplify it, not to be a bum.

All good- thanks for the advice.
i think I'll keep our outings limited to my garden from now on!
Thanks guys :)

For Buggster. :D

27691621821_c54cfbcfd6_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back