Is taking my pet python out in public illegal [NSW]

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yum!
my mealie farm is going slowly... Darn cold weather!

'Buggster' is the name of my Stimson's, not sure how much he'd like those!

[MENTION=42235]Buggster[/MENTION]. Why do they have this licence condition?...

There are a number of reasons why display to the general public is not permitted beyond the mentioned causing of distress to people afraid of snakes. Licence conditions cover ALL types of pet reptiles. Some of these are venomous snakes, others are capable of inflicting a damaging bite (especially monitors and scrub pythons) while some just bite and won’t let go, some can deliver deep scratches, particularly large pythons are capable of serious constriction, especially where kids are involved and there is even the potential issue of passing on zoonoses like salmonella. Then, as pointed out, there is not only the welfare of the people involved but the welfare and security of the animals.

There is also an equity issue here. Those licensed to display animals to the public have to pay a fee for that license, then outlay the funds required to meet the display standards for safely and security, and then adhere to a further set of conditions in terms of what they can and cannot do. It is only fair that those with pet reptiles should not be able to do the same, without having to meet any costs or conditions. If such were not the case then anyone with a pet collection could start doing public displays.

You could always apply for a temporary exemption to take your snake to the pet shop, like is done for taking a bluey to school for ‘show and tell’. Don’t fancy your chances but if you do get lucky it might be worth considering the potential quarantine-related issues first.

Best way to explain it in todays age and society.

95% of the public see a snake and fear for their life as they cannot tell between venomous or non venomous.

The element of fear is what the law is designed to avoid. And we all know what fear does to any living creature.... human or otherwise.

Some people have a phobia of balloons. Balloons in public will be banned soon :rolleyes:

People don't seem to understand that you personally being free and able to do what you want as long as it does not hurt anybody else, their property or the environment can only exist if you allow others the same - even if it makes you uncomfortable. I guess there is an argument that others being scared of your blue tongue is a form of harm... but really? And in terms of danger, with the exception of a very large python/monitor and of course vens not many rate when compared to a large dog which is perfectly fine when restrained (and so it should be). Of course the owner should be responsible for restraint where necessary.

It is a stupid law and like the majority of stupid laws it exists because people let it. I personally wouldn't ever take reptiles out in public but will always defend the liberties of others.

Anyway rant over haha.

Yes, there are lots of silly laws, and many with regard to the keeping of reptiles. Some of them are just overly bureaucratic, others can't possibly be policed by departments which are understaffed (so why have them), and others could possibly lead to the extinction of some species because they don't allow the collection and captive breeding of threatened populations, but we have to live with them.

Personally I think reptile keeping is a private affair, and don't enjoy seeing snakes and lizards being dragged out to show off in public areas, unless that place and time is specifically reptile-appropriate. A keeper isn't doing his python any favours by taking it to a pet shop on a regular basis, especially if not packed appropriately for travel. Tucked away in a pocket, around your neck or in your hood, are not safe places for your small python to spend time. It could be forgotten and crushed, it could drop onto a hard floor and break its back, or it could just slip away and disappear when you're distracted. For their own safety, reptiles need YOU to be aware of the security they need. They shouldn't be a fashion accessory.

Jamie

I don't own a snake. I am relatively new to reptile keeping still. But I actually like that there are some restrictions on reptile keeping, including taking it out in public. And it's not just because other people might not like them. Outside of the vet, transport, or proper show/exhibit/education/meeting there's really no reason for doing it.

No, I'm not saying that taking it out is irresponsible, as a blanket statement, but it can encourage others towards irresponsible reptile keeping. e.g., 'hey I can get a snake too and take it out with me and then I'll be cool too' or even 'hey I can get a snake and take it out with me and scare the crap out of people, wouldn't that be funny'.

A restriction we are dealing with is in the ACT we have to wait 12 months of keeping, say, a bluey or dragon or turtle before we can get a license to keep a python of a very limited number of species. Yes, annoying but I can appreciate it. It shouldn't be an impulse or fad decision. I have seen many conversations among families of this type at reptile zoos, reptile shops, my only expo visit and even schools. I find myself thinking well thank goodness they won't actually be able to get one!

Australian reptiles are obviously native species and I personally think it's good to encourage them to be kept in a respected and responsible manner.

[MENTION=42155]alichamp[/MENTION] isn't it two years? Maybe they've changed it, I've had Lizzie for quite a while now so I probably haven't kept track of the changes.
Also, I think the whole "lizard for a couple of years" thing is silly in some regards, I mean I can understand why they aren't exempt but I don't see why we HAVE to own a lizard/turtle first. Snakes are great because they (for the most part, I don't know about colubrid keeping so maybe there's UVB involved) only need one source of heat (instead of multiple for UVB and whatnot) and they can go longer without food, with less hassle with live food, or yucky cat/dog food and that benefit of keeping snakes shouldn't be discouraged by this law.

Rant over for now.

[MENTION=41799]BredliFreak[/MENTION] yep sorry 2 years, we are 1 down 1 to go...

Haha loooong wait! In my case it's good because I'm not harrased every single day by my daughter to get one! She knows she has to wait so she goes off and reads her reptile books instead! Apologies to digress your thread [MENTION=42235]Buggster[/MENTION]!

In regard to silly rules a lot of local council by laws don't even permit keeping of reptiles. My local council bylaws prohibit me keeping any reptile that may injure or worry a person or animal.

image.jpg

Not sure if anyone mentioned this - but have you thought about the possible diseases that you could be exposing your snake to out in public - especially in a pet shop? I also would never take mine out in public as there are too many a holes in the world who might follow you home, break in and take your snake, which you have so nicley made obvious to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back