stimson python feeding issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

really need advice.
stimson python around 8 to 9 months old.
has had 4 feeds with me. one pinkie a week then the last feed was a hopper. week after the hopper feed he came into shed for about 3 weeks he wouldnt eat. the next feed was a pinkie mice and it was assisted. this week no interest again in food.

temps are ok. ive been trying to feed him up because he is under weight. i know stimsons are finicky eaters. i was thinking about leaving him for at least two weeks without even getting him out of his enclosure...
if this normal for this time of year even for a little one?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Yes it is common at this time of the year, offer food every week or two but don't force it.

hey guys.

really need advice.
stimson python around 8 to 9 months old.
has had 4 feeds with me. one pinkie a week then the last feed was a hopper. week after the hopper feed he came into shed for about 3 weeks he wouldnt eat. the next feed was a pinkie mice and it was assisted. this week no interest again in food.

temps are ok. ive been trying to feed him up because he is under weight. i know stimsons are finicky eaters. i was thinking about leaving him for at least two weeks without even getting him out of his enclosure...
if this normal for this time of year even for a little one?

Stimson's are notorious for spasmodic feeding, especially through the cooler months. You don't tell us what sort of heating or temps you're running - this could be important. Also, you say you "assist" fed it - do you mean force-fed? This is a practice that is definitely not recommended for novices, it is potentially very damaging physically to the delicate skull structures of a baby python, and it is very highly stressful for the animal, especially if done clumsily.

If your temps are OK and other husbandry parameters are good, and it has eaten before, it will eat again when it's ready. Force-feeding has the potential to do far more damage than good. It probably is a good idea to leave it for 2-3 weeks and then try again, especially if it is active in the evening. By nature these snakes are nocturnal, so even the time of day you offer food can make a difference.

Jamie

Stimson's are notorious for spasmodic feeding, especially through the cooler months. You don't tell us what sort of heating or temps you're running - this could be important. Also, you say you "assist" fed it - do you mean force-fed? This is a practice that is definitely not recommended for novices, it is potentially very damaging physically to the delicate skull structures of a baby python, and it is very highly stressful for the animal, especially if done clumsily.

If your temps are OK and other husbandry parameters are good, and it has eaten before, it will eat again when it's ready. Force-feeding has the potential to do far more damage than good. It probably is a good idea to leave it for 2-3 weeks and then try again, especially if it is active in the evening. By nature these snakes are nocturnal, so even the time of day you offer food can make a difference.

Jamie
thanks for the advice.
temps are around 32 degrees using a heat mat.

Yes i read that force feeding shouldnt be attempted. and wont do it again after reading what can happen. i guess with time i will learn to except that what pythons are like

in terms of active he moves around a bit i might have to try feeding him later.
after a couple of weeks break and just leave him to destress.

Pinkie mice seem to be a bit small for him- my Stimson's was on pinkie rats at that age.
my guy is also a bit of a finicky eater- went off food for over a month and I started panicking.
i 'blood' the food item in beef/chicken/too/whatever's in the fridge blood. Just dabbing the head in the blood.
He's never refused a feed like this- he usually shows 0 interest in normal food items. Dab on blood on the nose and he can't get enough!
now to wean him off that...

I've heard about a technique called "Braining" Which i believe is exposing brain matter to try and provoke a stronger feeding response from the Snake, but i am unsure as to if it is a safe or ethical technique, Personally i do not see the problem in doing it as the animal is dead, but i know some people are a bit more squeamish and or dislike the idea, Regardless, Good luck with the little guy, I'd remind you that stimsons can be finicky eaters but it's been covered enough above.

well this week i decided to try something different. i got a smaller container, sliced the head of the mouse open, put snake and mouse in container. half the container over a potion of the heat mat. went to sleep, woke up and someone had a very fat belly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back