Defecating issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bipolar_bear

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone is well.
Prior to yesterday, my approximately 6 month old bredli had not defecated in over a month. He was still eating fine over that period and is on 1 hopper every week. So far have not had any issues with him feeding, he's very enthusiastic and hasn't skipped a meal. He's shed once since being in my possession and did so perfectly.
I was getting worried and I've read that people recommend to put snakes in some lukewarm water to get the muscles going as this can help defecation. I attempted this last night and alas! After I took him out of the water he let go of a truly huge one (picture attached), which isn't really like anything he's excreted before.13510603_1022455517845129_227940026_n.jpg

Is this normal for a python or should I be worried? Also, is this likely to be a recurring thing or was it just a once off?
Thanks in advance guys & gals!

Little snake, little food item.....little *****
Big snake, big food items....elephant in the enclosure!

All normal.

looks normal enough, if your worried about the white stuff, it is urate (reptile pee, they condense urine into a solid white substance like birds called urate)

Raymonde

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how much they can do at once, especially if they've been holding it in for awhile :lol: nothing to be worried about, he shouldn't be having too many of those too often.

Thanks all, muchly appreciate it! Thought I'd check here just to be safe

- - - Updated - - -

hahahaha yes! Fortunately just an old towel. I wouldn't let him crap on anything too fancy :lol:

I try to take my guys outside when they are due for a poo, and they will often go as soon as they are on the grass.

Much easier than cleaning out an enclosure.

I was getting worried and I've read that people recommend to put snakes in some lukewarm water to get the muscles going as this can help defecation. I attempted this last night and alas! After I took him out of the water he let go of a truly!
Movement, without warm water, generally stimulates bowel movements. It is common practice to take snakes for a "walk on the grass" about a week after feeding to keep the enclosure cleaner!

Boris unloaded on his basking ledge.
Despite the weather cooling down he still seems quite active.
2 large rats turn into a pile of python poo20160618_121805.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back