Lizards that don't require live food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BredliFreak

Reaction score
Hi guys

Seeing as I'm not allowed pets that eat live food, I was wondering what lizards can be fed on things like veggies/dog and cat food etc.
I have heard of raising EWDs and Cunninghams skinks without crickets but I would also like that confirmed.

Cheers,
BF

why can't you have live food eating pets? Blue Tongues would be a good choice in my opinion, but you would have to get an adult as they require live food as babies but my 3 adults dont eat live food only fruit, veg, egg, ground beef or turkey, pet mince, cat food and occasionaly a live superworm but they do not need them i just choose to feed it to them they will be fine without eating superworms. This goes for any kind of Bluey (Eastern, Blotched, Northern, Western, Centralian, and even shinglebacks too). As far as EWDs go, i personally gave mine Fruit, Veg, Ground Meat occasionally but also a lot of Crickets, Woodies and Superworms (Mealworms are bad for reptiles). This was my choice because i believe it is more natural i am not sure if they need it but i think they do especially as babies. Cunninghams Skinks i would feed meat, fruit, veg and insects. There may be some other species out there that dont need live food but i would go for a bluey if i was you they are also the easiest to take care of

Bluetongues don't need to be started on live food, most will eat processed foods from word go.
Not to mention they're cool animals :)
12742378_1513034402336391_2650610123583920980_n.jpg

or Shinglebacks :)
12741914_1514585482181283_3711410231257879795_n.jpg

r u sure. i have been feeding mine live food when young they wouldnt eat prossesed food then. It is more natural for them in my opinion. But yes as Shaun said try a shingleback

Shingles are cool but as I said not really after blueys. I've heard pink tongues don't need live food.

My Pink Tongue wont eat live - got her on Scrambled Eggs, Veges and baby food - and loves it

Get a pink tongue!!! DO IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Pink Tongue wont eat live - got her on Scrambled Eggs, Veges and baby food - and loves it

Bet if you placed a bunch of suitable sized silkworms or snails in it's feeding dish they would be disappeared before long ....

- - - Updated - - -

Bluetongues don't need to be started on live food, most will eat processed foods from word go.
Not to mention they're cool animals :)
12742378_1513034402336391_2650610123583920980_n.jpg

or Shinglebacks :)
12741914_1514585482181283_3711410231257879795_n.jpg

Sure , if that's all you offer them and they are growing fast and perpetually hungry .... doesn't mean that is a healthy long term diet for them though ---- just saying.

Sure , if that's all you offer them and they are growing fast and perpetually hungry .... doesn't mean that is a healthy long term diet for them though ---- just saying.
I don't mean dog or cat foods, but a healthy diet with mixed repashy's vegie burger and Grub Pie along with multi vitamins. Seems to go well.

Pretty sure cunninghams skinks virtually feed just on vegetation in the wild.

Tried canned crickets, snails etc? I suppose it comes down to the animals and wether it will accept food that dowsn't move natrualy.

It's a hassle to buy and I'm not allowed to breed them (don't blame me it's the parents idea)
Sounds like they are making excuses an don't want you have a pet lizard.

Buy the insects online by mailorder in bulk once every 2 weeks (crickets), and less frequently for worms .... can't be easier , certainly less bother than a cat or a dog.

Not really [MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION] as I am allowed blueys and if the lizards don't require live food then it's fine, but cheers for the info will keep it in mind

I use Wombaroo for young skinks. Buy the reptile mix version, mix it with your canned pet food and add calcium.

It'll cost you about $30 a box but last quite a while, depending on how heavy you use it.

I've used it for raising many species of Egernia and Tiliqua. Only bothered with feeding insects to depressa and striata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back