Help! don't know what to do with my childrens python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 42305

Reaction score
G'day all, I have a problem. I have a Childrens Python (had him for 9 years) that has become snappy! Problem is me, I don't have a lot of time to spend with him due to work. I think its time for him to go :( trouble is, I believe he's about 18+ years old. I know they're not worth much but I just want him to go to a good home. Can anyone help?

Chances are he could be tamed down again, but if you are adamant he should be passed onto a new home, look into reptile 'rescues' in your area. There are usually adverts on gumtree and reptiles down under of people offering to take in unwanted reptiles for free.

Are you sure it's because you're not spending time with him? I don't spend time with the vast majority of my snakes and none of them suddenly become snappy for this reason.

Is he hungry or near shed? Perhaps he's looking for a girl and your presence is unwanted? If he's nearing 18 years+, perhaps he's getting old and starting to slow down?

Snakes are probably one of the best pet for people without a lot of time, as they're quite content to be left to their own devices. If he's as old as you think and you've had him for so long, I personally don't think it's really fair to be putting the stress of a new house on him.

To add to what Iguana said, definitely do your research on the people beforehand. See their home/environment if you can (although some people may be unhappy with this), ascertain that he will be a pet only, etc.

Thanks for your responses. This is the only snake I've ever had, so not the greatest handler I guess. My friend who I got him from was a snake breeder for many years, anytime I had any question or problem he was there. Sadly he passed away 4 years ago. I was lead to believe that with lack of regular handling they can become snappy? He's well feed and a good eater, regular good/full sheds. I don't try to handle him too soon after eating and know the signs of impending shedding. I figured he could be re tamed with handling, but it seems every time I go near him, he strikes (guess I'm a bit of a big girl and not a fan of being bitten....... again :facepalm:)
Are there people I can get to come and help me out??? I'd rather keep him, just concerned about his welfare. Also if I do get rid of him, that he goes to someone who can care for him.
Cheers

usually it will be something that is bothering an animal to start being bitey wether it is husbandry or the way it is being approached as normally only strike out of fear or hunger or pain. Has anything changed in his environment??

Its a childrens.. if its snappy is that any big deal? they couldn't hurt a fly

Try putting a pillow slip over your hand when you take the snake out. Once out and you are settled in chair or whatever, allow it to slither into your other uncovered hand if it wants to. Don’t force it. Just let it go where it wants, retrieving it when necessary with the covered hand. Eventually it will be comfortable in moving into your uncovered hand. Once this is a firmly established practice, you can then try retrieving it from it’s enclosure without using a pillow slip.

All I can say is to give it a go as you have nothing to lose and if it works, which I believe it will... problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back