My Next Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,

So with our move fast approaching, I realise Popeye will soon need a new tank. And I must admit the idea of a bioactive/semi bioactive tank seems quite attractive. I'm looking for any plant that is low maintenance and can live in low light levels. So far, dwarf cordylines seem a good choice, but more variety would be nice.

My idea so far is to have about 4-5 inches of substrate, and a PVC pipe acting as a burrow entrance to an old cabinet, and into the first drawer, which will be furnished into a removable burrow. As it is under the heat mat, it would be quite well heated. My worry is the PVC might be quite slippery, and cause a bit of strain to climb. What would be an alternative to this? I've seen this on other reptile forums and the snake in question spent lots of time in it.

To make sure it isn't too big, polystyrene is added with a circle cut out, and it gets enlarged whenever it appears too small.

I also plan to add multiple pieces of driftwood and rock to allow for basking and a rough surface to allow shedding.

Any more ideas?

Cheers,
Herpo

Hi all,

So with our move fast approaching, I realise Popeye will soon need a new tank. And I must admit the idea of a bioactive/semi bioactive tank seems quite attractive. I'm looking for any plant that is low maintenance and can live in low light levels. So far, dwarf cordylines seem a good choice, but more variety would be nice.

My idea so far is to have about 4-5 inches of substrate, and a PVC pipe acting as a burrow entrance to an old cabinet, and into the first drawer, which will be furnished into a removable burrow. As it is under the heat mat, it would be quite well heated. My worry is the PVC might be quite slippery, and cause a bit of strain to climb. What would be an alternative to this? I've seen this on other reptile forums and the snake in question spent lots of time in it.

To make sure it isn't too big, polystyrene is added with a circle cut out, and it gets enlarged whenever it appears too small.

I also plan to add multiple pieces of driftwood and rock to allow for basking and a rough surface to allow shedding.

Any more ideas?

Cheers,
Herpo

With my md python tank I have added some of the vines from the petshop into the pvc piping and secured it using safety ties, if you do it right it makes it super easy for the snake to get out of, and have you thought about adding a hanging hide in the form of a basket?

You could coat the inside of the PVC pipe in a glue/resin and either stick down rough sandpaper or pour sand on the wet glue and let that set and that would help with the slippery issues.. ive done it in the past..

You could coat the inside of the PVC pipe in a glue/resin and either stick down rough sandpaper or pour sand on the wet glue and let that set and that would help with the slippery issues.. ive done it in the past..
Cool! Could it work with the same substrate? Probably coco husk. And what kind of glue?

Sam, I have done that in his current tank, but with paper clips haha. Looks pretty good huh? I might add those vines to finish of the look.

Cheers,
Herpo

Regarding plants, I have read that peace Lily's (can't remember the Latin) and certain types of dwarf palm can work well. My mum keeps something that she refers to as 'dwarf elephant ears' (they come up if you google it) in terrariums, and they seem to be quite happy. Pretty much any plant that lives lower down in forests should do well (hypothetically) as they naturally receive less light on the forest floor. Ferns should also work well. I would suggest letting things grow in for a few months before introducing your snake though, just to see what works and what doesn't.

Modge podge is the glue you need.
Spotlight sell it.

Its not cheap, but works great and non toxic

Hey guy... i have bought a new enclosure and am wanting it to be my feature peice in my lounge room, displaying my GTP's.. i was after ideas on a set up and a fake background suggestions too i am wanting it to look as close to the natural environment they are found in..
34df50f98eecf96a6396dd9e5a896c24.jpg
fd4bd099ff87150c1356bee0866d156b.jpg

Anyone got some ideas they are willing to share..

Hey guy... i have bought a new enclosure and am wanting it to be my feature peice in my lounge room, displaying my GTP's.. i was after ideas on a set up and a fake background suggestions too i am wanting it to look as close to the natural environment they are found in..
34df50f98eecf96a6396dd9e5a896c24.jpg
fd4bd099ff87150c1356bee0866d156b.jpg

Anyone got some ideas they are willing to share..

Looking good there.

I purchased a very durable rubber (like a car tire rubber) background. This particular piece has 7" ledges and is very 3D structured.

I'm hoping you could order from here:

https://www.universalrocks.com/aquarium-reptile-pet/backgrounds

They are out of Texas here in the US.

My guess is being in Australia you may have issues with shipping and price. Hopefully you can find a company there or make your own if you are handy.

I've combined fake plants, real branches and artificial perches wrapped with fake vines.

Hope these photos give you some ideas.

IMG_2638.jpg

All 3 on my cages are set up like this and only the royal python's cage is without a background.

Nothing beats a display cage with the right snake in it.

These are the other cages. The bottom (boa constrictor cage) has a background from the same company but it is flat and doesn't intrude into the cage like the 3D option with ledges.
IMG_2656.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back