Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard Snake Ranch swapped an Albino spotted for Kimmies with Reptile City, here in SA. Maybe a breeding programme in the pipeline for those interested?

I was fortunate enough to obtain a hatchling pair of kimbos back in 2011. They are a truly awesom animal to own absolutely incredible to look at in the flesh especially as youngsters. I will never forget opening the box and seeing them for the first time out of the box. They are rather easy to keep and maintain once you establish a routine with them and they will readily accept pink rats from your hand. Mine never bred and I sold them in 2014 as I realised I couldn't put the time in their day to day upkeep with the arrival of my third son. They went to a much experienced keeper who I believe may have successfully bred them although I am
not sure. They are a great monitor to keep if you are home all the time and you can continually monitor them and their enclosure.

I was fortunate enough to obtain a hatchling pair of kimbos back in 2011. They are a truly awesom animal to own absolutely incredible to look at in the flesh especially as youngsters. I will never forget opening the box and seeing them for the first time out of the box. They are rather easy to keep and maintain once you establish a routine with them and they will readily accept pink rats from your hand. Mine never bred and I sold them in 2014 as I realised I couldn't put the time in their day to day upkeep with the arrival of my third son. They went to a much experienced keeper who I believe may have successfully bred them although I am
not sure. They are a great monitor to keep if you are home all the time and you can continually monitor them and their enclosure.

Thanks for the info but sadly, unless I move states or encourage every display license holder to lobby for them all at once, I doubt I'll be getting one in the near future.

I do have a fair few bits and pieces to sort out prior to any purchase though... ie credit card paid off and a new PC. So maybe they'll have been added by then.

In the meantime I'll keep researching.

Preferred habitat (from google).
Hidden_Valley_National_Park.jpg

Also, this makes me want to go herping so so badly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a panoptes that is ok but still quite aggressive. Most people I deal with say they are a very aggressive species. I do find them to be quite different in the wild compared to gouldi. have you deal with them personally. it like every one has laceys as there first monitor then try to sell them a few years later when they can't handle them.

Yeah, though I like the Pilbara Tristis (or Perth ones if you find any!) but really Tristis, Acanthurus, Gilleni, Gouldii, Panoptes or Spenceri are all fairly decent starter monitors

Had an Ackie bite the tip of my finger just a few days ago and it was not pleasant!! Gouldii's are wonderful, their war paint is stunning but I'd be uber disappointed if I acquired one that didn't have as wonderful a personality as [MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION]'s Flavi.

this is penny my panoptes she is wonderful she tried to drag me into the enclosure.
View attachment 318603
she is a bit older now full size female I believe
View attachment 318604

Oh wow! She is stunning! Love her war paint and that yellow is wonderful.

Pretty certain her eyes were bigger than her belly however!!!

Do you have any pics of the aftermath of that bite? I'm a bit partial to reptile gore. [emoji50]

this is penny my panoptes she is wonderful she tried to drag me into the enclosure.
View attachment 318603
she is a bit older now full size female I believe
View attachment 318604
I have never owned a monitor but from other keepers I have talked to they seem to be an OK starter (generally people have them as their second monitor but they don't see why not) but I guess their size is a large factor. I have seen dog tame panoptes and spazzo panoptes so I wouldn't discount them.

Apologies for the bum steer:) SA used to breed the Kimbo's (Reptile City) and there's def some in NSW/ QLD, just haven't heard much for a long time.

I can't get Rosenbergs into Vic, despie them being native there. I thought anyone with a demonstrator's Licence could get them on the Shedule, but it seems No. To quote a well know Vic based Wildlife demo company:Nah they're not, we have to apply for off schedule species on a case by case basis, and they're off schedule. Everyone that I know that's applied for them has been knocked back. I believe Kimmies are off schedule also.

No worries. Still, I wonder how Reptile City managed to get them unless they were collected from populations in the NT? It doesn't matter now anyway. Apologies for derailing the thread!

No worries. Still, I wonder how Reptile City managed to get them unless they were collected from populations in the NT? It doesn't matter now anyway. Apologies for derailing the thread!
reptile city got their original specimens off Gavin Bedford so they told me. It kind of disappoints me they got rid of their breeding stock as they definetely had breeding them routine and produced quite a large amount of hatchlings over several years these which have spread out in private collections around the country. Most private keepers either haven't managed to breed their pairs or have and have kept the offspring. If I had the space and time and was breeding them I wouldn't be selling any the bubs are just too cute.

Last edited:
I'm going to make a submission for kimberley's to be added when I get a chance. If it is succesful they will be avaiavlible on advance. My sources tell its a bit of a tedious process and avaiablility is taken into account (though if avaiablility is important why da heck is Typanocryptus tetraporaphora on basic?????).

Without sidetracking the thread, I think that someone going for their first monitor should start with a smaller one. So many get a lacie or even a sandie, and wonder why they're not like beardies. :rolleyes:

Lacie shouldn't even be on basic. Best beginner monitor is acathanthurus, easy to keep, easy to get a hold off, and fairly cheap as far as monitors go.

Without sidetracking the thread, I think that someone going for their first monitor should start with a smaller one. So many get a lacie or even a sandie, and wonder why they're not like beardies. :rolleyes:

Why are sandies bad firsts? But definitely agree with you there!
[MENTION=40362]CrazyNut[/MENTION] A lot of awesome species are looked over and they are so rare but always on the license list, and yet species everyone wants and are generally more available are denied. Stupid logic isn't it

In the scheme of things, sandies aren't too bad as a larger monitor. But you do see an awful lot for sale as juveniles/yearlings, with various "reasons" for sale. ;)

I agree completely.

I'll probably cop a bit here, but while I can understand the reasoning, I don't wholly agree. Not everyone who goes for a monitor is looking for a Bearded Dragon. Obtaining a species that one never really wanted in the first place so that they can obtain a different species later can be pointless, and can ultimately prove as a disappointing keeping experience. If one had the knowledge and the desire to learn then they may be an excellent keeper for something imposing such as large varanids or other so called "advanced" reptiles, without caring for the "beginner" species. All one needs to do is serious research, perhaps view the species of interest in a captive and wild environment, and then they're there. Why waste a year or more caring for a reptile you were never passionate about? Also, what happens to all the unwanted beginner species when their time is up and the keeper is able to proceed to the reptile that they actually wanted?

Last edited:
I'll probably cop a bit here, but while I can understand the reasoning, I don't wholly agree. Not everyone who goes for a monitor is looking for a Bearded Dragon. Obtaining a species that one never really wanted in the first place so that they can obtain a different species later can be pointless, and can ultimately prove as a disappointing keeping experience. If one had the knowledge and the desire to learn then they may be an excellent keeper for something imposing such as large varanids or other so called "advanced" reptiles, without caring for the "beginner" species. All one needs to do is serious research, perhaps view the species of interest in a captive and wild environment, and then they're there. Why waste a year or more caring for a reptile you were never passionate about? Also, what happens to all the unwanted beginner species when their time is up and the keeper is able to proceed to the reptile that they actually wanted?

While all of that is correct, the flaw in that logic is that people don't research enough and end up with an animal that is far to big and intolerant of them to be handleable. They may also lack the space required for a large monitor and ultimately they move it on because they can't meet its needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back