Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my male Jungle Carpet Python, Tag. I would love to tell you that he is as cuddly as a kitten but that would be a big fat lie!

how long before you should start to worry about a jungle thats not eating?
mine been 26 days without food so far and although i heard they can go upto 4 months i cant help but worry.
shes a yr and a half old and i feed her frozen/thawed rats soaked in warm water for 10mins b4hand. which shes been rejecting.
one thing that i dont understand is how after constricting she will hold onto the rat loosely and look all around everywhere (mostly up) as if looking for sumthing.
im thinking coz its winter maybe they slow down alot?
im almost ready to try braining the rats
she spends ALOT of time in that hunting pose where they hang down from the branch in the shape of an s

Without knowing the size, temps, setup and your climate i would say that this is common this time of year. I would save your rats and try in another 26 days if she is off her food. Mine is the same and i keep the temps slightly raised over winter and provide a heat mat 24/7.

My Top end carpet does the same strike, constrict and then let go thing and then not eat this time of year.

2-3 months of not eating over winter will not do any harm if it is a healthy snake and has been eating ok up until now.

Without knowing the size, temps, setup and your climate i would say that this is common this time of year. I would save your rats and try in another 26 days if she is off her food. Mine is the same and i keep the temps slightly raised over winter and provide a heat mat 24/7.

My Top end carpet does the same strike, constrict and then let go thing and then not eat this time of year.

2-3 months of not eating over winter will not do any harm if it is a healthy snake and has been eating ok up until now.

ok thanks. ill try to worry less then.
for the record her tanks on a thermostat which turns off at about 32 and back on if it falls below about 28 (probes in the middle of tank). up the top its even hotter and down the bottom furthest corner it can get to like 19.
here are some pics. ill post some of my jungle when i can get her to sit still long enough!
also incase anyone thinks im dirty, i changed her grass stuff the very next day and disenfected the whole thing with fc10 and bought her some new leaves

My top end carpet python has a similar habit of striking, constricting and then lets go after several minutes and wont eat now the weather has cooled down. Prior to this it has always been a good feeder and is quite healthy. I will let it go without feeding for a 5-6 weeks before trying to feed it again.

That is what i was trying to say, it was a bit early in the morning!

All of my Jungles pass on food this time of year and you will never get them feeding in a million years. It took a fair while for me to learn not to panic when I first had non feeders.

How bit are the rats you are thawing.....10 mins seems very quick for them to be fully unfrozen.....I am feeding small weaner rats and they take a good 30/40 mins to unthaw in hot water.......are you sure they are warm enough...just a thought :)

How bit are the rats you are thawing.....10 mins seems very quick for them to be fully unfrozen.....I am feeding small weaner rats and they take a good 30/40 mins to unthaw in hot water.......are you sure they are warm enough...just a thought :)

i thaw them out for a long time.
by soaking them in warm water for 10 mins i meant to put some temperature into them so it seems like they have some body heat radiating when i feed them to her.
thanks for everybodies comments anyway. i suspected it was to do with winter but its good to hear its not just my jungle that does this anyway.
i still wonder when she will come out of it. i suppose i'll just get her a weaner every couple of weeks and when shes hungry she will eat. gotta have a bit of faith in nature at the end of the day.

Quick question for you Jungle owners. Whats a good humidity level for a Atherton Jungle carpet. Mines currently at just under 60, is this to high or low? I want to be sure I'm looking after him properly.

All of my Jungles pass on food this time of year and you will never get them feeding in a million years. It took a fair while for me to learn not to panic when I first had non feeders.

its called 'brumation' happens every year in winter.. very natural.

my jungle boy Diablo. Prob be looking for a nice little girl next season :)

Nice yellow on that one!!

Here's a girl I'm pairing this season

IMG_9296.jpg

Hi Bigtime89,
Thanks I'm pretty happy with them, I've kept this clutch to breed from the mother is from Rex Stock's line and the father is a Krause animal. Both parents have semi stripes, but nothing like the juveniles.

cheers
Scott

Quick question for you Jungle owners. Whats a good humidity level for a Atherton Jungle carpet. Mines currently at just under 60, is this to high or low? I want to be sure I'm looking after him properly.
around 60 sounds good to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back