Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I take that back, it is a bit too big, maybe your middle finger would be more realistic.
Basically if the food item is thinner than the thickest part of the snake then its too small imo, but you should go any bigger than 1.5 x the girth.
I am not an expert and its hard to gauge from pics so please take this into account

MAYBE 1.5 times as thick (at the knuckle, I have skinny fingers lol), that may be an exaggeration, though. I haven't seen her for days to get a proper idea. Whatever you can gauge from the pics is fairly accurate, she hasn't put on any size, or lost any.

I know that they will refuse food they think is too big....I have fed much larger than what you are describing and they just squeeze the crap out of it to sort of squash it and then eat it.....and I have seen Elvira with her scales stretched taught with a big food item in her belly and she hasnt had any ill effects.....

You do need to see a 'bump' after they have eaten and I think sometimes Alvin doesnt get it that the reason he feels so unsettled is because he is hungry.....if you can get them to have a big feed it does help they sort of get it that they need to eat something.....well in my experience anyway.

What I did with Alvin was I gradually upped his food size. When he was so fussy when he first came home I started with pinkies and each time he took a food item I made sure the next one offered was larger.....i did find though the pinkie rats he took without a problem. I just out of the blue tried a really big rat with him and he loooved it....I only offered it to see what would happen knowing if he rejected it i wouldnt waste it because Elvira would have it....and quite unexpectedly he took it and then another one.....like I'd starved him the **** lol.....so i guess what I am saying is it is trial and error with them to work out what they are looking for.

I have also heard that Jungles love mice....the only trouble is when they grow up you have to give them something like 6 to 8 mice to be equivalent to one rat....so it is a pain.....so I reckon if you possibly can you are better to stick with rats.

one last thing too....when it doubt wait till they are hunting looking downwards....tends to indicate they would like something to eat.....

How does a snake look downward? Lol. Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board... A few more days until feeding day yet :)

How does a snake look downward? Lol. Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board... A few more days until feeding day yet :)

Like this... Sure sign of hunger lol

IMGP0650.jpg

missing

i turned my back on my jungle for 5 mins while i had her out thursday 31/3 and she vanished. im in a 2br unit on the second floor. moving out on friday. i have done everything, looked everywhere. i am so freaked out
:(

Hey everyone, I was just about to head to brissy to pick my GF up when I noticed in the corner of my eye a bit of skin in the terrarium. It was wrapped around a little tree a few times through the leaves, so it took me a while to get it out without breaking it. He's gone a fair bit lighter! He looks absolutely marvelous!!

On to the pics! (They were taken on my iPhone and REALLY don't do him justice, he is yellowing up really well! I am SO STOKED!!!!!)

004-1.jpg

007.jpg

0072.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

0092.jpg

As I said, the pics don't do him justice. He looks a bit browner in the pics than IRL. I'm going to be late to pick up the GF, but I had to take pics and upload!!!

What do you guys think?

Like this... Sure sign of hunger lol

IMGP0650.jpg

Thank you. The male is like that now, I guess the shedding makes them hungry lol. Didn't snap at me when I picked him up though, great temprament.

i turned my back on my jungle for 5 mins while i had her out thursday 31/3 and she vanished. im in a 2br unit on the second floor. moving out on friday. i have done everything, looked everywhere. i am so freaked out
:(

Hope you find him, mate.

Very nice Roger. Another pair of quality jungles for the collection. Do you still have your B/W SXR jungles?
Cheers Justin
This male Julatten B&W aged about 4 months from Colin just shed last night .
Very happy with the pair i purchased .
IMG_1166.jpg

Yeah, I'll double WOW that one. Well done to both Colin and Roger.

Here are two of my freshly shed jungle hatchies that are showing some promise. Particularly like the lighter background and head pattern on the first one:

View attachment 194129 View attachment 194130
These are Stone x Devil

Jungleman, my 6th pic is the closest I can capture my jungles colour. Do you think he could lighten up and go white if you believe your second one has a chance? He is VERY light around his head and the sides for a fair way along his body. The rest of the pics make him look darker than he is. Great hatchies :)

I have only just recently over the last few months started into the snake scene, my first was an atherton jungle he is about eight foot. I now have a Palmerston as well, i had thought about different breeds, but have always come bak to the jungles,they are just magnificent. i cant believe there are so many gorgeous jungles around, im loving the julattens!!!!! My guy is not nearly as bright and beautiful as many of all of yours, but i think he is handsome and im inspired to put up some pics. Thanks so much for sharing your photos everyone.

Jungleman, my 6th pic is the closest I can capture my jungles colour. Do you think he could lighten up and go white if you believe your second one has a chance? He is VERY light around his head and the sides for a fair way along his body. The rest of the pics make him look darker than he is. Great hatchies :)

Very hard to tell with the pics you posted. Perhaps post a few of him outside in the sunlight with an actual camera.

Being so young with Jungles and predicting what they are going to turn out like is near impossible. They can change literally with each shed and I'm sure Colin and Roger can vouch for that. Personally I think around 18 mths of age would be a better indicator of what you have potential wise.

Either way they are a beautiful animal and will always have them in my collection.

All the best with him :)

Very hard to tell with the pics you posted. Perhaps post a few of him outside in the sunlight with an actual camera.

Being so young with Jungles and predicting what they are going to turn out like is near impossible. They can change literally with each shed and I'm sure Colin and Roger can vouch for that. Personally I think around 18 mths of age would be a better indicator of what you have potentially wise.

Either way they are a beautiful animal and will never tire of looking at them.

All the best with him :)

Thanks mate! I don't have a proper camera, only my iPhone lol.

Nice mate! Could you tell me where you got the astroturf from and how much per metre? Bunnings has similar stuff but it's much longer and not as green, and they want almost $70 per metre for it.

It may look greener than it actually is because of the UV light.

as for where I got it...

I work for a Transport company and that has many benefits such as many contacts.

We just so happen to transport for a Synthetic grass company who were quite happy to Hook me up.

Here is the Tip.......

Look up Synthetic grass installers in your area....... Such as for Tennis Courts, patios etc.

Pay em a visit with a carton of Cold ones under your wing, and im sure you could score some of their offcuts and have yourself enough to do several enclosures.

It may look greener than it actually is because of the UV light.

as for where I got it...

I work for a Transport company and that has many benefits such as many contacts.

We just so happen to transport for a Synthetic grass company who were quite happy to Hook me up.

Here is the Tip.......

Look up Synthetic grass installers in your area....... Such as for Tennis Courts, patios etc.

Pay em a visit with a carton of Cold ones under your wing, and im sure you could score some of their offcuts and have yourself enough to do several enclosures.

Haha, cheers mate! Will do.

The Bunnings near me has about 4 different types with the cheapest being about $45 a Metre.

That said..... Its also about 2 metres or so wide so if ya Bought 1 Metre ya vould prob get 2 tanks out of it depending on how Big.

The dear stuff you will find has Drainage holes in it so water doesnt sit on top of it if it spills

I'll have to go and have another geez at bunnings. Surely drainage holes couldn't be that hard to put into the mat. I'm using aspen at the moment though, so I don't mind it.

Yeah just drill em in there yourself is easy.

Just remember to put something under it to "Catch"the drill when it goes through the mat so it dont end up drilling into your floor.

Yeah. I have an exo terra glass enclosure so I might just stick with aspen until I upgrade to something bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back