Stimson Python Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nokubura

Reaction score
hi!
so, i know this is probably just me being paranoid that my snake is sick, but i really would like confirmation. ive read that stimson pythons will occasionally go off of their food during the colder months, but is it normal for them to not leave their hide? i got Lacy second hand from a family, she is about 18months-3years old, and she seemed very healthy and friendly. i got her for my birthday in march of this year and she ate normally, she was very active and she seemed to love being handled. though in June, she started to go off of her food. we thought you know, "sometimes snakes just dont want to eat", and left her for a few weeks. she was active a few more times and we tried seeing if she would eat, but she still refused it. i havent seen her leave her hide for about three weeks now, though she would usually be out in the morning. she still seems healthy, but im concerned something is wrong because of the fact she hasnt moved from her hide. we havent changed her heating, we keep her tank clean and i give her fresh water, so does anyone know if i should be concerned? im just worried that if we wait too long, we wont be able to help her.

i know this probably makes me sound very dumb, but she is my first snake and i thought i was doing everything right. ive read many forum posts about stimson pythons and the way they go off of their food sometimes, but i was unable to find anything on the way their activity should be. please let me know if theres something i should be doing for her, im just very concerned about my baby.

Attachments

• lacy1.jpg
    lacy1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Welcome to APS.
Nothing to worry about as long as your python is in good condition. Hiding away is normal, especially in colder areas like Victoria. Reptiles can sense the weather, even when they are in heated enclosures.

My Stimson's rarely comes out now that the weather is cold. Maybe once or twice for a drink, but other than that he's curled up in his hide for most of the time.

just took his first meal after about 6 weeks without one (and boy, was he hungry).

You don't sound dumb at all, it's better to ask questions if you are unsure rather than just ignore it IMO. I know with my first snake I was very worried about everything he did.
As people have already said its very normal what she's doing. You can expect she will be a lot more lively/out and about in spring/summer, in the mean time, make note of her condition, weigh her if possible, and check every few weeks that she hasn't lost a huge amount of weight, while this isn't necessary, it can give peace of mind.
The only time you need to worry if if shes lost a large amount of weight and still refusing food, then a vet visit is a good option. Make sure to always leave clean fresh water in case she is thirsty.
Hopefully this helps, good luck :)

@nukubura, As has been said already you have nothing to worry about as long as your Stimmi was in good condition and lively prior to shutting down, i have known Stimmi's to not eat for 6-9 months from June onward and stay in their hides Brumating for periods of up to 3 months, as Iguana has said just make sure to chande it's water every 5-7 days regardless if your snake has /hasn't been out for a drink, they do like to have nice clean water but worse case they will drink whatever is there. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Just one other bit of peace of mind is that Lacy is a nocturnal species and maybe moving around / drinking while you are asleep
other than that all natural behavoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back