Albino Darwin feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoul1

Reaction score
Recently got an albino Darwin, 8months old going on 9 I believe.
First snake, loving it's massive enclosure.
Fed it twice since I got it, 1 hopper mouse. Guessed and fed her 10days apart.
Was on pinkies before I got it I believe.
She measures about 70cm.
Ready for a shed.
Still working my head around the feeding, how often and what should she be feeding on? When to up the size of food?
cheers fellas

At around 70 cm I'd be feeding it large weaner to small adult mice every 7-10 days with occasional breaks of a couple of weeks just to keep it on its toes.

Jamie

Cheers mate, she is still pretty thin even though long but I'll keep looking into it :) here's a pic. I've only just got into snakes so any info is helpfulimage.jpeg

That snake could easily take an adult mouse every week or two. I don't even start hatchling carpets on pink mice, they prefer and can easily eat large fuzzy mice as a first meal.

Jamie

i dont have much experience. but i was feeding my stimson on pink mice upped the size to hoppers and he takes them easily and it putting on some weight finally. i would suggest yours could take the next size very easily.
just ensure there is enough heat all the time and your snake will be fine

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Looks the same size as my few remaining ones. I've got them on fuzzy rats, upsizing to weaners tonight. Get to adult mice soon and then to weaner rats. Feed more often with small meals, less often with larger. They will grow according to feeding rate. That size can easily take 2 or 3 hopper mice for a meal on a weekly basis. 10 days isn't bad either. I pumped one for a buyer once. Fed it every 5 days and it grew like mad! Totally normal proportions, just grew in keeping with the amount of food it got.

I'd try it on a fuzzy rat first..not much point getting it eating mice when you'll have to upsize almost immediately. Remember it's still winter though, may be in no mood to eat until it warms up.

Heaps of advice about much the same thing, but it can be quite confusing for a new keeper. Everybody has a right to express an opinion, but in this case it should be pointed out that there is little difference between a fuzzy rat and an adult mouse, except that an adult mouse has much more developed bones and internal organs and is probably a more nutritious food item, although the snake is unlikely to suffer if offered a small rat rather than a mouse. So many keepers and "advisors" seem to advocate a headlong rush to get their animals onto rats absolutely asap - for what reason?

From what I see in the photo, either adult mice or similar sized rats would be quite sufficient, and as the snake grows, either increase the food size OR the number of items offered - either option will suffice until you're ready to move to bigger food items. Anything that leaves a smallish bump in the snake's stomach for two or three days is perfectly adequate. The choice is yours.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back