Choosing a social / non cat eating snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than a kitten, the only snake capable of eating a cat would be a coastal or scrubbie, surely.
Well Ive got a picture to show you :) My dad and I came across this diamond eating a swamp wallaby on a training run last summer. From this pic I recon this diamond could eat a cat if it wanted to.. Ill post better pics of the snake when my dad gets back from work as they are on his phone 12417672_10153396215416884_7602648122881068700_n.jpg

Actually now I've pondered on my earlier comment about this topic... I do remember this time when a snake destroyed a pussy (cat) one night but I'll save that story for another time slot!
.... That made it a very good cat.... well done to the snake. )

Well Ive got a picture to show you :) My dad and I came across this diamond eating a swamp wallaby on a training run last summer. From this pic I recon this diamond could eat a cat if it wanted to.. Ill post better pics of the snake when my dad gets back from work as they are on his phone

really I recon most species of carpet Python would be capable of it at full size

I've got an adult Jungle here, and an adult cat.
The cat and snake /never/ come in contact.
Cat is curious, but the snake really couldn't care about Kitty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have 2 cats & 3 snakes (and a dog), cats are inside cats and they also have access to an outside cat enclosure.

My cats/dog never have the chance to interact with my snakes. I'd be more worried in case the cat scratched or attacked one of my pythons (cats carry nasty germs in their teeth/claws)

If the snakes are out (that includes cleaning their enclosures) then the cats are either in the outdoor cat enclosure or put in my bedroom with the door shut. They usually jump at the chance to snooze on my bed.

If I have the snakes outside on a sunny day, the cats are inside/or in their outdoor enclosure watching in safety (dog goes into a crate with a bone or pigs ear if she's outside)

Get whatever snake you like, handle it where the cat won't be, if it's your cat, put it in another room, if its your friends/housemates cat, then ask them to remove the cat to their room, or handle the snake in your own room with the door shut.... it's all doable, just juggle things around.

I wouldn't be handling a snake while any cat/dog/bird is free to roam in the same room, it's just common sense to me.

I have 2 standard poodles who live inside they have become fascinated with the snake in his tank but I call them away from the tank till they can just ignore it. but when I am handling Rothman( that's the snakes name cause I gave up smoking 4 months ago so he was my savings from smoking that was also the brand I smoked) sorry off subject anyway the dogs are put outside when I am handling him for his safety and mine.

Theoretically speaking all constrictors are capable of killing a cat- not necessarily eating it and vice versa all cats are capable of killing snakes. The likelihood is rare if proper handling and housing is achieved. This is stupid! What a ridiculous fear, cat is more likely to do harm to the snake.

my standard poodle female is in pup and she has been growling at the snake someone said she is being defensive cause she will have pups soon. but they are put out when I bring the snakes out

This is such a strange thread, not even sure where to begin.

Animal care is simple for me. I don't trust animals, from my snakes to my dog. Which means, I don't let my dog and my snakes interact. I only have a small dog (miniature pinscher), but she could easily inflict a nasty bite to a snake, and similarly my larger carpet pythons are more than likely capable of constricting her, if given the chance. So the two don't come into contact unless it is through glass.

On a similar note, I generally don't let my larger snakes get too close to my face (even snakes that are perceived as tame), accidents happen and I don't want to cop a bite to the face or eye. I handle my snakes no question, but there is no need to have a large snake pressing up against my face. I don't have children, but have lots of kids in the family (and close friends), most of which are more than happy to have my dog near their child's face (and their own dogs at home), I also avoid this especially with small children who are still learning what gentle is, whether that be through coordination or otherwise. It only takes one bite, even from a small dog to damage a child's face and while my dog has never bitten anyone in her life, she is still an animal and accidents happen. When animals are injured, instincts kick in, and that may be to 'defend' themselves with a bite. I would also apply the same methods with cats. I have two family members who are in the health care business (doctor and nurse) and both of them have far too many horror stories of children bitten on the face, usually by the family dog (even cat stories). Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing very small

I am also a freshwater stingray keeper - and will always ensure that the rays are nowhere near my arms and hands when working in my tanks. While the rays are more than used to me, it only takes one bad move on my part to spook them and I end up with a barb in the hand/arm, or even worse unto the wrist.

The point I am trying to make is be smart, realise that while pets are indeed a part of the family, they are still animals and have their limitations. Live by a few simple rules, and 99% of the risk can be eliminated.

Cheers,

Alex

Yes, regarding that photo of the diamond, I would like to see another photo to prove wether it actually managed to get it down. A large diamond is definatly capable of killing a wallaby, I know that for sure, but managing to swallow it is a another thing.

Also, as far as the cat and the snake goes, as a wildlife carer, I have seen too often just how easily it is for cats to kill reptiles. If the cat punctures the skin of the snake either by tooth or claw, the wound will fester from the bacteria. This will cause death, unless it is treated straight away, and kept under observation because if first aid with antiseptic doesn't pull it up, then it is a course of anti-biotic injections for a week or so. If left untreated the wound will cause a slow and painful death.

On the other hand, I really don't believe there is many python species in aus that as an adult wouldn't be able to choke a cat, probably just our pygmies,... so its a case of keeping them apart.

You're forgetting the main point. It is us that enjoy handling our snakes. The snakes just tolerate it. You can't forget their natural instincts. I can't say I've heard of a pet snake eating the pet cat but it probably has happened and we just havn't heard about it. If the snakes hungry it will eat. While they may prefer rats, mice, birds, if they are that starving it will go for anything. My 2 pythons socialize with my dogs but I don't let them get that close either and it's under strict supervision. Mind you my jungles are only small. Once they're bigger they won't be socializing unless it's through the snakes outside wired enclosure.

The cat/kitten will likely do more damage to you're snake than the other way around. If you are going to let them get that close be prepared for vet bills for your snake. Don't forget the cat has germs on the claws. Easy infection.

I don't think it would matter what snake you would get. They are all different in personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back