Ecotech Reptile Thermostat by Pet Pacific

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first started out I just used the usual cheap and nasty ones but found them to be unreliable and a pain to wire so I moved to HabiStat Pulse Proportional Thermostats, they come pre wired so no messing about with elec cables and seem to work great (I have also seen a small difference in life time of ceramic heat globes and lowering of my elec bills which is always good).

A lot of thermostats have instructions or product guides available online so it is always good to check them out online before you buy that way you know their ranges and how to install them if it looks to complicated then you know what questions to ask the person you are buying from.

Any help with mine? It says it's 21c. Really scared about that cause I set it to 30c. I want my snake to live. Have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I was told to place the heating mat in between the tank and foam underneath the tank so the whole bottom of the tank would heat up. I have the TC100 and it's reading 21c and going up and down degrees by .2C. I have the heating mat plugged into the first socket. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Help please anybody!!!

Last edited:
Do a search on the Jet Thermostats on this forum.....There are a number of threads outlining their shortcomings. Ecotech's are a rebadged Jet that sell at Pet Store prices under the Ecotech name. These shortcomings are not 'one-offs' and in all reported cases I am aware of, the importer has shrugged it off blaming 'bad power' as the cause (laughable when you look at what some of the failures have actually been).

For the price of an Ecotech at my local Pet Store, I can add $25 and buy a higher spec'd and higher featured Habistat Digital Dimming Thermostat that comes with the usual Habistat backup, support and warranty.

After mine (and others) experiences with the JET's I know where I would be putting my $$ if I were after another 'bells and whistles' thermostat. These days I have taken the advice of some of my herp mentors and gone back to much simpler and less complicated setups.

For those who desperately want to know how to set an Eco-Tech (or JET as the setting process is identical) there is a youtube clip on Amazing Amazon's channel that steps through it.

Personally, after being through the 'bells and whistles thermostats' phase myself....I find it much easier (and educational) to just set up my enclosures simply with as fewer gadgets as possible.

For the price of an Ecotech at my local Pet Store, I can add $25 and buy a higher spec'd and higher featured Habistat Digital Dimming Thermostat that comes with the usual Habistat backup, support and warranty.

Wholeheartedly agree with the Habistat comment! The whole range of these stats are excellent. These days I won't use anything else.

I have been using 2 echotech thermostats for 3 years and they are great, i also have a B1 microclimate, a dimming microclimate, a day night microclimate and a pulse proportional microclimate, all of which were very expensive, every summer we get massive thunder storms and without fail the first time we have a blackout the microclimate thermostats all blow their fuses, but the echotechs are fine. I found that if you are incubating eggs the microclimates can let you down, unless you have spare fuses.

There are a number of threads outlining their shortcomings. Ecotech's are a rebadged Jet that sell at Pet Store prices under the Ecotech name.
For the price of an Ecotech at my local Pet Store, I can add $25 and buy a higher spec'd and higher featured Habistat Digital Dimming Thermostat...

Hi all,

This thread has been super helpful so thanks to all that have contributed.

I initially purchased a very cheap analog thermostat from ebay and it blew in less than a month. After doing a criminally paranoid amount of research in order to avoid a repeat, it seems as though a pattern has emerged:

s-l500.jpg125450_1_n_ecotech-reptile-dimming-thermostat-with-timer-and-daynight-function.jpgs-l1600.jpg

The first is $40, the 2nd is the Ecotech at $100, the 3rd is the Habitstat at $150.

Notice the similarity?

It seems like they all have the same manufacturer, just will different print on the casing. No wonder some are having problems! They're paying so much for what is essentially something rather cheap.

Unfortunately this doesn't make finding a good thermostat any easier, just wanted to let everybody know.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 125450_1_n_ecotech-reptile-dimming-thermostat-with-timer-and-daynight-function.jpg
    125450_1_n_ecotech-reptile-dimming-thermostat-with-timer-and-daynight-function.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 55
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 53
  • o_Home_Pet_Reptile_Thermostat_and_Timer_02.jpg
    o_Home_Pet_Reptile_Thermostat_and_Timer_02.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 54
I know it's a slight detour off the Ecotech but I use 2 x Microclimate B1ME and they may be a far better option but I did have a gripe with a warranty issue. 1 failed before last Christmas with a problem they had never seen before and were waiting instructions from England on what to do. This dragged on for several Months as Microclimates Office in England was shut for a couple of Months for Holidays. They ended up replacing the sensor component and sent it back I think in February. They do seem to be a reasonably robust thermostat but I am disappointed that it wasn't replaced rather holding off for such a long time for instructions from England. For a thermostat that is often held in high regard the warranty service time let it down. I was prepared to pay the extra and go to the next model up as a replacement.

Ring Brian Barnett at the Herp Shop to get the best advice and some damn good equipment - he's been in the game for decades and knows his stuff. I'm the same as many oldies, have a lot of trouble with tech stuff. The Habistat stuff Brian sells is excellent and the instructions are easy to follow. I just purchased a Habistat Classic with night-drop facility for my GTPs and it is fantastic - checked it against my very expensive calibrated thermometer and it's spot-on on both night & day settings. Brian is great with no-questions-asked warranty stuff too - not had a problem with the electronic stuff, but had a book fall apart after a few weeks and the replacement was in the post within hours of my email - I hadn't even returned the problem copy.

Jamie.

Last edited:
actually - i only use thermostats for the whole room- to control the air con and the incubator- not cages- I use timers and cage design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back