Scales & Tails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your opinion is invalid, if you think you could do a better job, feel free to give it a go.
This was in response to IMALIZARDBRO.

Steve and Mahalia,

I for one appreciate the efforts you guys go to to produce the magazine. I hope this is just a hiatus rather than the end of the mag.

cheers
scott

I used to work on Monitor and Reptiles Australia, it has been really interesting, and in the last few years a bit sad, to see the evolution of herp magazines. Monitor went from being little more than a small club newsletter to the premier Australian reptile magazine, it was basically stomped out existence by Reptiles Australia, which eventually developed issues behind the scenes and was replaced by Scales and Tails, but even at that stage, the writing was on the wall - the internet was eventually going to kill the physical magazine. I've admired S&T for managing to continue over the last few years, surviving as long as they did was very impressive.

Then again, if S&T goes digital, someone new may just prove me wrong and jump in to fill the niche. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone had a go, but I'd be surprised if they were successful. I'd be first in line to congratulate and admire them if they managed.

To be honest I'm surprised that S&T survived as long as it did as a hard copy magazine. Myself and a couple of associates toyed with the idea of a producing a regular reptile publication some time before Reptiles Australia established but after undertaking a detailed business plan decided to can the idea. I applaud the editors for their effort and wish them all the best with their endeavour to go digital.

George.

I worked as editor for both these publications, and while the rise and demise of Reptiles Australasia (a magazine which had huge potential) is a bizarre story in itself, I know just how hard Joy K worked, 7 days a week, to keep Scales and Tails on time, interesting and readable. Punctual publication was always paramount, and we would both be on phone and computer simultaneously (we live 600kms apart), sometimes into the early hours of deadline day for printing, to ensure it was out on time. This was during the times when reptile enthusiasm was at frenzy levels, and interest was massive. Supportive activities like the Expos which the Kuligowskis organised also energised the reptile-keeping community, but they require a massive amount of work on many levels to organise.

I know nothing of the current management of Scales & Tails, but I'd guess that the reduced levels of interest in reptiles and related information we've seen over the past few years would make it both difficult to drum up readable articles and also to turn a profit with reduced subscription numbers.

Jamie

Yes Jamie I'm aware of your background with the mag and the other backstory behind it's demise. I, like a lot of other people got their fingers burnt on that one.

I won't forget what went on in here with it's inception either. It wasn't all that pretty, from all sides.

Last edited:
So I talked to Steve Castell about Scales & Tails and I can confirm that all if fine, they are just switching to digital publishing. Printing is a huge outlay and they have to produce enough to cover all the potential sales for that period, so any left over is pure cost. With digital there is no such cost. This means more funds can be put towards other features in their digital publications and other things like future shows.

All is good and businesses must evolve to survive in a world that continues down the digital path :)

Yes Jamie I'm aware of your background with the mag and the other backstory behind it's demise. I, like a lot of other people got their fingers burnt on that one.

I won't forget what went on in here with it's inception either. It wasn't all that pretty, from all sides.

Yes indeed Wally, and I have to wear at least some of the blame for that. My bull***** detector was way out of order for a long time during that awful phase. At least the fraudster ended up wearing many tens of thousands of dollars in fines and costs when NPWS finally nailed him.

On the original topic though, like many members here, I do like tangible hard-copy stuff to actually see, feel and refer to, but it's not enough to just like something - it has to be actually supported with subscriptions and over-the-counter purchases, and I'm guilty of not actually doing either following the Reptiles Australasia debacle.

Jamie

Last edited:
With Scales and Tales going digital does that leave any Australian reptile magazines currently in print?

I know of the journal HERPETOFAUNA but what other reptile pubs do you read?

PS we love Scales and Tails and subscribed for my daughter but were a bit late to the game only coming on for the last year.

Last edited:
Going digital does have its disadvantages. For instance, if there's a black out, you can still read a physical magazine or book to pass the time.

And you can't wipe your butt with your iPad if you run out of dunny paper!

Going digital does have its disadvantages. For instance, if there's a black out, you can still read a physical magazine or book to pass the time.

If the power goes out you can still read the digital so long as you have batery power left. The real dissadvatages come when you have a security breach and lose all digital copies or when you have customers who are "old fasioned", like myself, who prefer a physical object to read... Turning an actual page is a differnt experience to swiping a glass screen. There is alsothe potential to have customer who are incapable of downloading the magazine or any digital information (ie those without internet) effectively those people lose the magazine and the company loses customers,further shortening its clientel.

Last edited:

Ah, first world problems. :)

Not really that big of a deal. I'd probably be more preoccupied with providing alternate heating sources to my reps than sitting down with a mag for some quiet time.

With Scales and Tales going digital does that leave any Australian reptile magazines currently in print?

I know of the journal HERPETOFAUNA but what other reptile pubs do you read?

Anybody?

I'll miss the hard copy version. Was great while it lasted.

- - - Updated - - -

This was during the times when reptile enthusiasm was at frenzy levels, and interest was massive.

I know nothing of the current management of Scales & Tails, but I'd guess that the reduced levels of interest in reptiles and related information we've seen over the past few years would make it both difficult to drum up readable articles and also to turn a profit with reduced subscription numbers.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, just out of interest, when would you say the frenzy levels of reptile enthusiasm were? And when did interest levels decline?

Just curious, I hadn't noticed the ups and downs you mention... I thought interest was particularly high around 2012-13 and a bit less since then. What's your thoughts? :)

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Omg, according to the site I have only ever made two posts here. Must have been another loss of data that I've missed. Note to self: pay more attention to APS, haha.

I'll miss the hard copy version. Was great while it lasted.

- - - Updated -

Hi Jamie, just out of interest, when would you say the frenzy levels of reptile enthusiasm were? And when did interest levels decline?

Just curious, I hadn't noticed the ups and downs you mention... I thought interest was particularly high around 2012-13 and a bit less since then. What's your thoughts? :)

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Omg, according to the site I have only ever made two posts here. Must have been another loss of data that I've missed. Note to self: pay more attention to APS, haha.

Hi Channaz, I think the frenzied years were from the early 2000s, when licensing to keep herps was introduced in all states, and the internet demonstrated to every keeper that they could actually breed these animals themselves, armed with knowledge gained from forums such as this, or from books, or elsewhere on the internet. Breeding took off, mixing species/subspecies became hugely appealing to many keepers, especially those who needed to have the hottest, latest ghastly creations in their lounge rooms. In my opinion it sort of hit a brick wall at the time of the GFC, around 2009-2010, which caused a massive change in people's discretionary spending patterns. That event, when coupled with a massive oversupply of some animals (particularly the highly fecund pythons) in the following years, has caused the stasis we see today in the trading of reptiles. Massively increasing energy costs over that time don't help either, for keepers with limited budgets.

There are a few keepers still doing well out of niche animals, such as black Bluetongues, but snakes in general, and some pythons in particular, are very difficult to shift these days...

Jamie

Thanks Jamie! Forgot I had asked you this and only saw your reply now. Interesting to hear your perspective. Fascinating to see how the hobby has it's ups and downs and trends :)

Hi,
Ok just to start not sure if this shoukd be hefe or in chat so admins move if neccssary.

Ok so is anyone else really annoyed with S&T magazine publication? I have a one year subscrition and haven't received a magazine since May. I also haven't seen anything on their Facebook page either. Are they still publishing magazeins? Anyone know whats going on? You can PM if this is touchy issue.

Thanks
Kind regards
CN
The only copy of this I have is literally the first volume, mint condition, unopened, kept in a plastic sleeve. LOL
20171112_215257.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back