Snake Mood Swings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outofthekitchenn

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a 11 month old albino Darwin python who has her mood swings like she is PMSing :evil: She can be very cage defensive when i try to take her out but once she is out she is really calm and loves exploring... except some days (like today) where she will be on the bed and just turn and launch herself at me. I try to have a hand on her so she remembers i am there but if i let go for 2 minutes she can turn back to a *****. I've been working really hard to get her accustom to me and calm down but I'm not sure how she can turn from calm and adventurous to trying to kill me in the next second.

Do you think it could be because she was cold or some other factor? Or is she just young?
And do you think she will grow out of it?? I really love her and love spending time with her and just would love for her to be a calmer girl.

Thanks!

Hi,

She is still young. She could grow out of her defensive behavior or not. You will have to adjust your routine according to her. Young animals are defensive when they feel threatened or exposed. Samll animals survive in the wild by hiding.
Also, I would not let her roam uncontrolled anywhere. A small python can disappear into very small gaps very quickly, leading to ingury or escape. If you want a pet to lie on the bed beside you, get a cat.
If she was cold she would be sluggish.
Do you have a routine for feeding, cleaning and handling?

Regards,
Nick

Hey everyone,

I have a 11 month old albino Darwin python who has her mood swings like she is PMSing :evil:
Can you please just describe the behaviour without anthromorphising and being offensive?

Young reptiles may strike out defensively either because of temperament (not moods) or environment (such as too much handling or too much exposure), or a combination of both. I'm sure the other members here will have some good tips so I hope it helps you and your snake get along over time.

Hi,

She is still young. She could grow out of her defensive behavior or not. You will have to adjust your routine according to her. Young animals are defensive when they feel threatened or exposed. Samll animals survive in the wild by hiding.
Also, I would not let her roam uncontrolled anywhere. A small python can disappear into very small gaps very quickly, leading to ingury or escape. If you want a pet to lie on the bed beside you, get a cat.
If she was cold she would be sluggish.
Do you have a routine for feeding, cleaning and handling?

Regards,
Nick

Yeah I thinks she might just be young. She defiantly isn't roaming around uncontrolled. She will be on my shoulders and go onto my laptop or onto the bed but I always have a hand on her. I'm very careful of her getting into anything or disappearing.
She gets fed every 7-10 days, a hopper rat. I try to handle her everyday or every second day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you please just describe the behaviour without anthromorphising and being offensive?

Young reptiles may strike out defensively either because of temperament (not moods) or environment (such as too much handling or too much exposure), or a combination of both. I'm sure the other members here will have some good tips so I hope it helps you and your snake get along over time.

Sorry that you're offended by my pms joke. I'm fully aware that reptiles do not have emotions like humans and mammals do and they work on instinct. I'm just stating that I don't understand what can change her from being comfortable with her surroundings to feeling threatened by my presence when I have not altered my behaviour or position.
So you think I am handling her too much and this is causing her to become defensive?

I would suggest handling less. Over handling can be stressful for a snake and what constitutes as over handling will vary greatly. Keep changing your routine until you have a content reptile. I handle mine only twice a week. Feed day they are handled only to put in their feeding containers and cleaning day I generally only handle for 15mins. I feed Tuesday nights and do a full enclosure clean out Saturday (spot cleaning in between), this allows sufficient time for a big part of the digestion to occur. Snakes can be snappy if they have a full belly or could regurgitate if they fell threatened.
Also, if she does get hold of you, you need to post pictures.

Keep trying and you will find a place where she is happy.

Regards,
Nick

I would suggest handling less. Over handling can be stressful for a snake and what constitutes as over handling will vary greatly. Keep changing your routine until you have a content reptile. I handle mine only twice a week. Feed day they are handled only to put in their feeding containers and cleaning day I generally only handle for 15mins. I feed Tuesday nights and do a full enclosure clean out Saturday (spot cleaning in between), this allows sufficient time for a big part of the digestion to occur. Snakes can be snappy if they have a full belly or could regurgitate if they fell threatened.
Also, if she does get hold of you, you need to post pictures.

Keep trying and you will find a place where she is happy.

Regards,
Nick

Yeah I don't handle her feeding day except for moving her to her container and for 2 days after so she can digest. Sorry I should have said that earlier [emoji4]
Yeah I will just keep altering her routine until she seems content.
I just thought handling her for a half an hour everyday would get her more use to me but maybe it's too much for her. Thanks for your advice!

depending on her shed cycle she would be getting annoyed being handled around this time as some snakes do not like to be handle the week or two prior, I always go on the rule that if mine want to come out of the enclosure they will when I open the doors other wise I will leave them be. Young snakes are naturally more responsive to movement but with time will settled if not stressed as don't forget these are not companion animals and whilst some will put up with us handling them quite well others could not care less and get annoyed with it. And they really should not be handled till after they past waste both urine and poop. I am sure things will settle down

My first thought was "is she in shed mode?" My snakes don't like being handled when they go into shed mode and will get more defensive and upset when handled than they would normally. Snakes should be left alone during shed mode and while they are digesting (usually takes 3-5 days after feeding)

How long have you had the snake?

My first thought was "is she in shed mode?" My snakes don't like being handled when they go into shed mode and will get more defensive and upset when handled than they would normally. Snakes should be left alone during shed mode and while they are digesting (usually takes 3-5 days after feeding)

How long have you had the snake?

She shed 10 days ago so it's not that and she was fed 5 days ago so it's not that either. I've had her 4 months now :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back