Help With New Spotted Python Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixxen

Reaction score
Hi guys
We got my daughter a baby stripped spotted python last weekend
We left him alone for a few days as they said and took him out for a play yesterday then tried to feed him last night,
He is a very very placid loveable thing and crawls all over my daughter and loves to rub against my pandora bracelet ... is that normal?
Main question is we tried to feed him last night and he would not have a bar of it, My daughter defrosted the mouse, heated it in warm water, patted it dry as we were told to do and nothing , he just stuck his nose up! We left mouse in there all night , made room dark as I read somewhere on here they like eating in dark, put mouse at entrance of his house but nothing?
Tried with the tongs a few times and then she tried by hand still nothing
I got the mouse today and tried to put it on his head and he striked a few times but nothing, put mouse on his body but he just slithered away and back into his house.
How do I feed him?
Also my daughter and the snake play for hours is this too much?
Maybe try leaving him alone for a couple days then try mouse again?
Could he be shedding?? No cloudy eyes or anything though.

Thank you for your help xx

Hi guys
We got my daughter a baby stripped spotted python last weekend
We left him alone for a few days as they said and took him out for a play yesterday then tried to feed him last night,
He is a very very placid loveable thing and crawls all over my daughter and loves to rub against my pandora bracelet ... is that normal?
Main question is we tried to feed him last night and he would not have a bar of it, My daughter defrosted the mouse, heated it in warm water, patted it dry as we were told to do and nothing , he just stuck his nose up! We left mouse in there all night , made room dark as I read somewhere on here they like eating in dark, put mouse at entrance of his house but nothing?
Tried with the tongs a few times and then she tried by hand still nothing
I got the mouse today and tried to put it on his head and he striked a few times but nothing, put mouse on his body but he just slithered away and back into his house.
How do I feed him?
Also my daughter and the snake play for hours is this too much?
Maybe try leaving him alone for a couple days then try mouse again?
Could he be shedding?? No cloudy eyes or anything though.

Thank you for your help xx

Hi!! Congrats on the new little one!

So with new snakes they need time to settle in
Once they've had a few days to a week try and get them to feed before handling them
Don't handle the little one for a few days then offer food again
Also what temp are you keeping it at? Sometimes if there not warm enough they won't eat either :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to APS!
First thought is that it hasn't settled in yet. I wouldn't be too concerned. Are you using tongs to feed? The smell of you or your daughter might be putting it off eating.
What is the temp at the warm end?

Snap Kittycat, lol.

Hi Guys
His cage is between 26-32 then I bring him downstairs to the cooler lounge as it's stifling upstairs and aircon died
What's the hottest he can be??
Yes she tried tongs a few times first then other daughter read ppl take mousies tail off so she tried that too lol eewww
Oh so if I tell her no touching for a few days and maybe try Sunday? Morning or night?
She plays with him for hours !! We got him as a kind of therapy pet as she's always wanted one and loves him to death... he's grown on me too lol
So try no play? The mousy
What age do they shed? I don't even know what age he is was just told between 3-6mths

Thank you guys xx

They need to be kept between 32-34 24/7 when there small

I find feeding at night works better than during the day as that's when there most active

I would suggest no handling until it's consistently feeding so 2-3 weeks in a row
They shed about a week or so after hatching then every few months depending on prey size/ how often there feeding eg the more/bigger prey they eat the quicker they grow and shed :)

Also what size enclosure do you have him in?

Needs to be 32 under his heat, and 20-22 at the other end. Any hotter and he will hide away all the time. Any colder and he won't eat. As Kittycat17 said, no handling for a few days, and then try food again.

Also what size enclosure do you have him in?

He has one we got from Kellyville pets which was made as a set , sorry hopeless with size but he has his house , a cactus and small corner bowl . Sposed to do them until about 12 mths old
Oh ok maybe I'm keeping him to cold then?? Thought I'd cook him
Just told my daughter no touching and we'll try feed him Sunday night.
Also how long can mouse stay in there cause I'd like to remove straight away but left it over night .... is that wrong?

Even placid snakes that are used for shows and whatnot are NEVER used for 'hours at a time'. 15 mins max usually for the animal, and only a couple times a week- and this is for animals that eat regularly.
I would not ever handle a snake for 'hours', to a new baby it can be extremly stressful and can cause many health issues.

I wouldn't handle him on a regular basis until he is consistently feeding, and even then I'd cap it at a couple minutes each time.
Get a lock for the cage so your daughter doesn't sneak him out.

Even placid snakes that are used for shows and whatnot are NEVER used for 'hours at a time'. 15 mins max usually for the animal, and only a couple times a week- and this is for animals that eat regularly.
I would not ever handle a snake for 'hours', to a new baby it can be extremly stressful and can cause many health issues.

I wouldn't handle him on a regular basis until he is consistently feeding, and even then I'd cap it at a couple minutes each time.
Get a lock for the cage so your daughter doesn't sneak him out.

Oh thank you I never knew that.
I thought the more play the better they became dah!!
I'll tell her.
Xxxx

10 to 15 minutes handling time is probably fine for a younger snake, once it is feeding. As it gets older, longer handling is ok. You need to be able to read the snake. If it seems edgy and restless, put it back. There are times when it won't want to be handled, especially before and straight after a shed.

i can go 2 to 3 weeks with touching the python i just feed him twice a week he is a good eater and spot clean his enclosure he comes out at night and hides in his house all day a very boring pet but I love it lol

i can go 2 to 3 weeks with touching the python i just feed him twice a week he is a good eater and spot clean his enclosure he comes out at night and hides in his house all day a very boring pet but I love it lol
They are so cute aren't they, and I was dead set against not getting my daughter one but glad I did he's gorgeous.
Now just to learn how to raise him properly I don't want to kill it

just keep reading and learning is all u need to do as that's what I do ask questions no matter how trivia u may think it is as the ppl here all are great bunch I know I have asked a lot of questions lol. just don't forget your grammar as we have a grammar freak here lol.

Just be careful not to kill it with kindness either, lol. Overfeeding can shorten a snake's lifespan. At the suggested age of your snake, fortnightly to three weeks is sufficient to keep it healthy. Over the cooler months you might find it goes off its food; spotteds are notorious for that. Don't panic, just offer the food less often. If you don't leave the food in the tank overnight (which is fine to do BTW) you can refreeze it, once at least.

sorry mine eats twice a week but he is 2 years old I should of mentioned that, and he was 1.5 meters when I got him but he has grown a lot since than lol

Hi Vixxen,

What must be realised is that snakes are not companion animals like dogs and cats. They do not bond with their keepers. They tolerate handling but do not actually like it. As alluded excessive overhandling (especially of young snakes) can lead to serious health issues in a short time.

They will not feed unless their body temperate has reached an optimum state and/or if they are continually disturbed.

I can fully understand your daughter's desire to want to play with the little critter but she needs to understand that handling it regularly and for long periods of time is a definite no, no and will do the snake more harm than good.

Can I suggest that you access care sheets via the net or better still purchase one of the books that are available on the subject of keeping species of Australian Pythons.

Cheers,

George.

just keep reading and learning is all u need to do as that's what I do ask questions no matter how trivia u may think it is as the ppl here all are great bunch I know I have asked a lot of questions lol. just don't forget your grammar as we have a grammar freak here lol.
Haaaa I did see that on some post lol

Just an idea from a long time lurker but new member. When defrosting the mouse, place the mouse in a zip lock type sandwich bag and put that in the water. You may be washing most of the scent off the mouse. I have three pythons and they are definitely excited by the smell rather than any heat or movement. My Woma goes crazy as soon as the zip lock bag is opened in the room. The bags are cheap, Woolies has them 50 for about two dollars.

Just an idea from a long time lurker but new member. When defrosting the mouse, place the mouse in a zip lock type sandwich bag and put that in the water. You may be washing most of the scent off the mouse. I have three pythons and they are definitely excited by the smell rather than any heat or movement. My Woma goes crazy as soon as the zip lock bag is opened in the room. The bags are cheap, Woolies has them 50 for about two dollars.

Womas don't have heat pits so that explains why they would be driven more by scent than heat

My guys go crazy as soon as I put things in the hot water, but I also feed them around the same time each week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back