Rat/mouse breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
some places really overcharge on feeders. another store in north richmond, selling the SAME brand of rats sells them for $30 /3 pkt. they don't always have them in stock.

I am buying the super mice, Quackenbusch (sp). According to research, they can leave babies in with the adults without fear of them getting eaten, unlike normal pet shop mice.

I have seen a litter of genuine supermice that was half eaten by the surrounding adults. Generally it's the first litter as all the females play a huge 'tug of war' with the pups (and consequently kill them) as they all concentrate on a single litter. But yes, in general they're not as likely to kill a litter as your standard pet shop mice. But for most small time breeders, if you do notice that the pups are being eaten, it's best to move mum and pups to somewhere seperate or you risk loosing the entire litter.

The stock that I have are from a guy who breeds em up and sells them off as feeders so these aint handled much, so my girls aint that friendly not ready to rip my fingers off but u cant hold them. so moving em around too much isn't a option without planning for a big game hunt lol.

Have you considered just buying frozen stock from a rodent breeder, instead of from pet stores? Take out the middle man and you will save quite a few $$

None that are local- and I can't have them shipped here as I'm just not home during the day and the weather really is starting to heat up- got a dozen things that would try to get into a packet of rats/mice left on the doorstep also.

just had 9 babies (Rats) born a couple of days ago, just gotta remember what there here for lol. so 9 feeders in a couple of months coming up. Momma is a b..tch tried to kill me when I took the food bowl out to fill it up, she has signed her warrant when my boi is big enough to eat adults lol

The females often get defensive when they have a litter, maternal instinct and all that. As soon as they are old enough to eat for themselves, take them away from the mother into a separate tub to grow.

I'd recommend a bit of research on the net. Rats will sometimes kill babies as they make noise and if the rats feel there is a potential threat near by the kill them so as not to bring attention to them. I randomly purchase rats when starting a breeding colony and there has been no overthinking involved. I just asked for a couple of males and females. Females often attack hands as defense when they have young and will settle back down when the babies have grown independent. I find them financially benificial as i don't go into buying overpriced rodent specific feeds and substrate. Shredded paper from my accountant lines the tubs and a mix of food scraps, vegetable scraps (free) from grocer and dry pet food goes a long way. They are after all scavengers in the wild.

yeah I understand mothers are defensive of there young, she hasn't been to bad since I don't handle em anyways as there not going to be pets. I have 4 cages for breeders and 3 for growing out, im lucky atm my snake is only on med size so I don't have to grow em on too long.

As apprenticegnome has said, vegetable scraps are a good cheap option for food. Just be careful what you use though. Some are actually bad for them like potato peel and bok choy and cabbage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

i just buy rabbit and g/pig mix, than add extra bird seed, I also add muesli just the black and gold, and fruit loops the cheap version. I also get the fruit/vegies that are just about expired for a dollar. also a rat block but there not that keen on it never had it b4 I got if off ebay. I read somewhere that bok choy was ok as I have given em that many times with silver beet and spinach.

I think we fed bok choy to the adults ok but I killed a whole grow out tub once with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've fed bok choy and cabbage with no ill effects to both parents an young. May have been contaminated or some other problem has wiped them out. I've just watched how much vegies I give as too much seems to give them runny stools.

i give mine vegies twice a week, and little bit of fruit once a week as well as there regular food.

my rat breeding is coming along nicely I will soon have to many rats to feed to the snake lol I better get more snakes lol. got about 30 bubs atm and 10 females ready soon to pop.

for the past week we have had some severe hot weather here, and I have lost 1 female with her bubs and 1 young female to the heat. I have been putting frozen water bottles in every cage and every hour changing there water to cold water from the fridge which is doing the job but still a couple of set backs. and I aint bringing em inside the house lol. But I do have some feeder females I will keep to replace the ones I lost and I still have 23 bubs

there in a car port no sides so they get the breeze but its a hot breeze. they aint in the sun cause there beside the house

hi all my snake hasn't eaten in 2 weeks which is not like him at all, but he did shed 2 days ago. trying to feed him tonight so if I leave the rat in all night and he don't eat it can I freeze it, it is a freshly culled rat from this arvo, but do u think being in the cage all night it would be off? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back