Possible Future Snake Owner.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct place to post questions if I do not own a snake but I'll give it a crack anyway.

Okay, so I have never owned a snake before let alone any reptiles. I have been doing quite a lot of research about the needs and specifications of keeping a snake but I will continue this until I am confident enough.
What I'm most concerned about is, what is the type of snake most suitable for beginners?
I have a feeling most people would suggest a smaller species? But I would prefer one that will grow to a decent size. Are there any larger breeds of snake that will be okay for a beginner keeper?
And as most pet stores in my town rarely sell reptiles(of any kind), what should I look out for/be cautious with if I choose to buy from local breeders??

Thanks in advance for any help (or extra tips you feel like sharing) :)

Last edited:
I would recommend a woma python, they are a beautiful snake, and great to handle. They grow to about 1.4 meters in length, and hardly ever bite. One of the down sides is that their feeding response is quite aggressive, so care should be taken when feeding. Here's a link for more info, before I write an essay or something: http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/woma_lr.pdf

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptile keeping.
You will get a hundred different answers to what is the best snake for a beginner. Just as you are, do your research, find a species that you really like, and then find out all you can about that species. Most of the morelia pythons are fine as beginner snakes. Look around on here, and on the net, to see which one catches your eye.
As for breeders, you want to buy from someone who will let you see the parents of what you are buying, let you handle some before purchase, and offers advice and future help after the purchase.
What part of Australia are you in?
And lastly, get hold of one or both of these books. A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity, by Adam Elliott, and/or Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons, by Mike Swan.

Pretty much what PF said above.
Better to buy from a breeder than a pet store. Pet stores will offer untold quantity of advice of which most is to line their pockets. The breeder relies on feedback from you to others in the community to grow their reputation.
Read as much as you can, talk to as many keepers/breeders as you can, join as many forums as you can. You will soon sort out the good from the bad.

Best advice I can give is choose a species that you're most excited and passionate about, by the sounds of it you have the dedication and intelligence to research proper care of whatever species you decide. It's not exactly rocket science

Oh yeah, and I'd recommend Jungles ;) my personal favourite, and they have a bad rep, most you can get to settle down really well. And the occasional bites while they're little don't hurt at all

Pretty much what PF said above.
Better to buy from a breeder than a pet store. Pet stores will offer untold quantity of advice of which most is to line their pockets. The breeder relies on feedback from you to others in the community to grow their reputation.
Read as much as you can, talk to as many keepers/breeders as you can, join as many forums as you can. You will soon sort out the good from the bad.
I had a feeling it would be better to lean towards breeders. Thanks for your help, I'll do what I can.

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptile keeping.
You will get a hundred different answers to what is the best snake for a beginner. Just as you are, do your research, find a species that you really like, and then find out all you can about that species. Most of the morelia pythons are fine as beginner snakes. Look around on here, and on the net, to see which one catches your eye.
As for breeders, you want to buy from someone who will let you see the parents of what you are buying, let you handle some before purchase, and offers advice and future help after the purchase.
What part of Australia are you in?
And lastly, get hold of one or both of these books. A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity, by Adam Elliott, and/or Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons, by Mike Swan.
Thanks for the suggestions in terms of advice for breeders. Ive read that I should also ask for a feeding demonstration?
And I live in the lower region of South Australia.

From your first post, I assume you don't live in Adelaide, as there are several reptile retailers there. If you live in the South East, go to Mount Gambier. There is a couple of reptile places there I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back