Pre-shedding Time For A Jungle-carpet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Hefe

Reaction score
Happy New Years!

1st Post...

I have had a Jungle Carpet Python for 3 months, nearly 1 year old approx, feeding well on mice, shed once and has a good temperament. I was bitten a little bit in the first month, but now I will only get bitten 2/3 times since then. These times only occur before shedding (happened just now and felt a rough scale), and I have tried to keep a close eye on changes in appearance, eyes, scale dullness etc, but I can't seem to pick it. Has anyone else had trouble with this and/or has other ways of spotting and impending shed?

Cheers

Happy New year and Welcome to the site.

Shedding generally is proceeded by dull eyes & scales, lack of moment and a temperamental nature however note the statement "Generally". Each snake is different and I have a couple that show no signs and just shed without any warning but your best guide would be just keep watching and you will spot a pattern/ giveaway sometime.

good luck

8158395f293d9cdf99f3857830308387.jpg

This is the only comparison pic I have, as you can see the 2 on the sides of the photo are bright and scales look nice whilist the darkest one is coming into a shed cycle looks very dull, that female in particular looks terrible during her shed cycle and I can always tell about 2 weeks before her eyes go blue

This was her shedding 2 days ago, you can see that the section already shed is bright and colourful whilist the section that hasn't is very dark and dull
a76e123dec744b37bebf8001e1d4049c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the eyes, I sometimes can't tell with some of mine. Another thing is they might not feed if they're going into shed, another potential sign

Thanks for all the responses. He is a hungry bugger, but have noticed he will spend much more time on the ground/in his cave at these times.

Those pictures look fantastic! thanks again!

As said above, generally it is the blue eyes that turn milky, and the state of their skin (the scales are often clearly defined). They will also often hide away before shedding.
You should try to guess when an albino is coming into shed, lol.

It definitely took a while to figure out the signals, but now I can pick it a week in advance. I'm sure you will too!

Congrats on getting the Jungle! Hopefully you get fewer bites as well :p

@kittycat17 Damn those Snakes are ugly KK, the only decent thing I can do is take them off your hands to at least stop you posting pics of said ugly snakes, contact me with pickup instructions. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

@kittycat17 Damn those Snakes are ugly KK, the only decent thing I can do is take them off your hands to at least stop you posting pics of said ugly snakes, contact me with pickup instructions. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Bahhahahahaaaa over my dead body :p
Those 3 are all from the pairing (the 2 larger ones are 2013 the smaller is 2014 but a terrible feeder)
The large dark female that was in shed just became a first time mum so I've got 16 of her hatchies chilling at mine to :p

WTG girl, I am in love with the smaller 1 with the stripe, won't be too long and you should be able to prove that line out with a full stripe, will look spectacular then :) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Luckily that small one is a male and if I can get some more size on him I'm going to try him over my black and gold tristripe girl... should make for some interesting animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back