Oh my god! Oh my god!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your worring to much about the temp, I couldn't even tell you what temp my inc is right now, anywhere from 28 - 32 is fine and it can vary a bit each way without any hassle. The main thing is to watch for spikes and massive drops, ie un-natural temp changes.. Naturally the eggs would have some varience in temperature. Also something that people don't seem to talk about much is the heating the female has been kept at before and during being gravid, this has a dramatic impact on the health of the hatchlings, if the female has poor calcium levels, then the hatchlings won't form properly and fail to hatch.. Moisture is more important imo than heating (as long as it's within reason). Any thermostat can successfully run an incubator if it's set out correctly. The incubator should be kept in a cold place to prevent external temps from effecting the internal temps, and also the egg temp is usually a few degrees cooler than the average ambient temp of the incubator, so to incubate eggs at 31 deg, you may have to keep your inc at 33, use a lazer temp gun to monitor the egg surface temp, never trust a single digital thermometer either, I have 2 digital external thermometers that measure max highs and lows within the inc (and egg box) as well as a two traditional bulb type thermometers inside the inc... my inc varies by about 2 to 3 degrees throught the year.

well if you read what snake power suguested ealier then ya he said if not to late get the so called slugs and incubate them...or something along those lines. I hadn't moved them after I through them (NOT THINKING) god I am so poopy about this. BUT I got them out of bin and didn't roll them or anything just in case they had just been layed they could still be ok. anyways I candled the so called slugs to my horror they where good ones but only 5 that I removed from clutch.....so :( at least the bin was warm and the eggs weren't cold. there in the incubator being cooked starting to go white and more plump they had some veins so fingers crossed they go ok. it would be a miricle if they hatched. one however is looking bad which I was really unsure about being a good egg anyways. but the others are fine. the other slugs I did move smelt bad and where hard and green.

to clear things up I didn't remove 13 from the clutch there was 6 slugs not attached and pretty obvious to anyone they did also get candled but they where very smelly. so 7 where removed and 5 where put in the incubator out of the 7.

Potentially it's a few grands worth of advise if it is followed.

And even more if all the changes that the incubation "process" cause a white hatchie or two to pop out....then survive.

Sorry to hear about the loss Candycaine.

hahaha I think that would be awsome hehe. but I don't think there has every been a nice albino cape york before. hahaha if my chances of hatching out a fully striped gorgous bub like last season is just because of the incubation process then bring it on but with more hatchies hehe.

Just a hint, if you have what you think are slugs, or even ones die mid way through, always open them up to see whats going on and if they were fertile or not, you can learn alot by opening "dead" eggs. If they have both yolk and white, then they were fertile, if they are all just "white" then they were slugs.. Living in Darwin you could incubate eggs on a shlf in a room without aircon.

Some pic's of the eggs in the incubator

Attachments

• DSCF5810.JPG
    DSCF5810.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF5813.JPG
    DSCF5813.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 76
the rest is with mum she's on 14 this is 8. the ones I fished out of the bin are the 5 on the left. the substrate I am using is a vermiculite/moss to the simple fact I only had a small bit of vermiculite left and half a bag of sphagment moss. the moss was way to wet so I added vermiculite to it to help contain the water better. it seems to be ok will see though I just don't want to be fiddling with them too much thats all.

I'd love to do this, But I have a lot of reading and learning in front of me.
It's all very interesting though.

This was a few years ago wow I had some terrible terrible luck, that season I lost it and had a break after they died off one after another...bred my BHP's in 2012 and got 5 healthy beautiful eggs, however I was moving unexpected with husbands work and well NEVER EVER move with eggs!!! they hatched out on 75 days at the end of the long road trip from NT to Sydney. got some interesting results with color but that was the last time my pair would allow each other to mate...sad. I bred my cape York girls in 2013 and hatched out 20/18 eggs so yes 2 viable sets of twins and lost a set of twins 2 weeks before they hatched 28 eggs all up. from medusa. and 9/10 from the other girl. Bred them again in 2014 and got 12/32 hatch this was a retained sperm clutch believe it or not as I sold the sire the year before. (lost most to MI) & 12/12 from other girl. enjoy the pics :)
20161206_095405.jpg 1547933_10153058668340733_1808205083225290868_o.jpg 11350581_979121715445606_7796864036598218754_n.jpg DSC00459.JPG DSCF5439.JPG DSC00026.JPG DSC09471fix.jpg DSC09485fix.jpg DSC01224.JPG DSC01216.JPG DSC01219.JPG DSC01220.JPG DSC01274.JPG DSC01266fix.jpg DSC08609.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back