Help Getting Hatchling To Feed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myvekk

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a newly hatched Stimsons python. Has recently shed and will strike at pretty much everything, so seems hungry...

But even when it gets the pinky mouse by the head, it just hangs on for a minute, or wraps & squeezes it, then drops it. I have been unable to get it to eat the food.

I tried some feathers (budgie), with one on the mice, but no go there either.
Suggestions please?

Striking does not mean the animal is hungry. It's often a defensive measure when in fear/stressed.
Look at husbandry...are the temps high enough, does the animal feel secure (enough hides), is the enclusure too big?
If everything looks ok try leaving the food in the tub for a few hours. Often it's the presence of the human hand that will be enough to frighten youngsters.

Some don't eat straight away but generally 4-6 weeks after the first shed they should start eating if not stressed.

Just adding on from what @Pauls_Pythons said; One of my python's used to strike, and hold the rat for a few minutes than drop it, I just left him alone and 20 or so minutes later I'd come back and he had a full belly. A lot of vibration/light/smells can scare a baby snake into not wanting to eat. After he strikes, close the enclosure, turn off the lights and leave the room. Come back later and see if it has eaten, could just be a shy eater.

Newly hatched snakes are often very nervous when taking food the first few times. Until they become confident that you're not a threat (and sometimes they never get over this nervousness), any movement that they can see outside the tub or enclosure, usually the keeper moving around, will cause them to let go of the food and watch what you are doing. They are very defensive when feeding because they are vulnerable. If you otherwise disrupt their confidence by putting a lid back on a tub or move it around, this often leads to the immediate rejection of the food as well. When getting hatchies to feed for the first few times, keepers often have to "freeze" when the snake has struck and wrapped the food item, and VERY slowly move away so that the animal is not distracted by movement of your body or hands. Watch from a distance, and don't do anything until the mouse has been well & truly swallowed, then you can replace lids or return the tub to a rack or whatever.

Jamie

Still the same. I have not been able to get it to eat at all, even trying all of the above.

Is there something else I can try feeding it, (or flavouring a pinkie mouse with), that it may find more appetising?

You can try braining. A decent size needle through the skull of the prey victim releases a scent that can often entice hatchies to feed.
That would be one of my next steps. Maybe try a small pinkie rat instead or try scenting the mouse with quail.

My Stimson's also a very picky eater. When all else failed, I dipped the head of the mouse in some blood (at the bottom of meat packets). 9/10 times he would go for it almost immediately.
If you're thawing in water, that can wash the scent away. I was told to put the mouse in a ziplock back, and put the ziplock bag in warm water.
May take longer, but the scent of the mouse is retained.

Best of luck with your little guy :)

If you're thawing in water, that can wash the scent away.

Buggster is right, the few times I have thawed rodents in boiling water they have not been eaten. I appreciate the desperation of trying to get your little ones to eat but you're just going to end up throwing the food away. Best to keep the food as natural as possible, I always microwave.
After he strikes, close the enclosure, turn off the lights and leave the room. Come back later and see if it has eaten, could just be a shy eater.

Another really good point, for the first year almost my girl would be easily disturbed while eating and would just drop the food and hide. I used to have to close the door and leave the room entirely. Now she is older and performs for an audience :)

Best of luck! Hopefully your little one feeds soon!

Buggster is right, the few times I have thawed rodents in boiling water they have not been eaten. I appreciate the desperation of trying to get your little ones to eat but you're just going to end up throwing the food away. Best to keep the food as natural as possible, I always microwave.

Another really good point, for the first year almost my girl would be easily disturbed while eating and would just drop the food and hide. I used to have to close the door and leave the room entirely. Now she is older and performs for an audience :)

Best of luck! Hopefully your little one feeds soon!

Microwave?
That's probably the worst way to thaw mice. It cooks them internally and can make your snake ill. It can also literally blow up the mouse. I have always been told to never microwave mice

Really? Even if it's a 10 minute slow defrost? Wow, good to know. Thanks!

Yeah.... they can have a tendency to explode as well....

I prefer getting them out in the morning leaving them in a tub inside to defrost then I'll just pop them in warm water

My picky feeder loves quails but even a day old may be to big for a stimmy hatchie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they can have a tendency to explode as well....

Haha thankfully that has never happened to me. I remember getting told initially by amazing amazon that a low power slow microwave is fine as long as you can ensure it is not still frozen inside. She has never gotten sick and is a great feeder. Still though, I trust you guys and so will switch to the overnight fridge/warm water combo.

Part of the isue with microwaves, is that most of them do 'low power' by cycling between off & full power.

I'll try a big needle again & heating in a bag.

Part of the isue with microwaves, is that most of them do 'low power' by cycling between off & full power.

I'll try a big needle again & heating in a bag.

You're completely right, and I'm sure that is part of the reason that they aren't recommended for delicate things like herp food. Mine is good though, whereby you can designate the percentage of full power that you want whilst also cycling for a period of time. Probably how I avoided explosions and a sick snake. Nonetheless, no microwaves.

Good luck with the needle, let us know how you go!

Microwaving a mouse is probably the most unnatural of all the suggestions so far!

Haha I now recognise that. I meant natural in appearance to the reptile, it looked more natural than a boiled one that's for sure.

Never use boiling water either..... Hot tap water is fine.... and if it's just one rodent, it will probably be defrosted and at room temperature in less than ten minutes!

Great advice, thanks!. My girl takes quite large rats now and so I defrosted in the fridge last night and will hot tap water before giving it to her today. We're in central vic where its the perfect temperature atm for meat left out to sprout an unhealthy dose of bacteria.

@Myvekk This from Pauls_Pythons ( Striking does not mean the animal is hungry. It's often a defensive measure when in fear/stressed.
Look at husbandry...are the temps high enough, does the animal feel secure (enough hides), is the enclosure too big?
If everything looks ok try leaving the food in the tub for a few hours. Often it's the presence of the human hand that will be enough to frighten youngsters.
Some don't eat straight away but generally 4-6 weeks after the first shed they should start eating if not stressed.)
AND This from pythoninfinite ( Newly hatched snakes are often very nervous when taking food the first few times. Until they become confident that you're not a threat (and sometimes they never get over this nervousness), any movement that they can see outside the tub or enclosure, usually the keeper moving around, will cause them to let go of the food and watch what you are doing. They are very defensive when feeding because they are vulnerable. If you otherwise disrupt their confidence by putting a lid back on a tub or move it around, this often leads to the immediate rejection of the food as well. When getting hatchies to feed for the first few times, keepers often have to "freeze" when the snake has struck and wrapped the food item, and VERY slowly move away so that the animal is not distracted by movement of your body or hands. Watch from a distance, and don't do anything until the mouse has been well & truly swallowed, then you can replace lids or return the tub to a rack or whatever.)
Is probably the best information on this subject given thus far, I would like to have half the smarts these 2 guys have forgotten on everything Reptile, as for me I would suggest just leave it alone altogether for the next week or so....maybe even put a towel over it's enclosure till it has settled down and then try again. Most Hatchie's can go 3 or 4 months sometimes even more without eating so don't be too worried at the moment.
When all else has failed there is always the barbarous technique of force feeding (but that is a horse with entirely different stripes) but this should not be attempted by an inexperienced herper. Hope there is some help here for you, I know it is frustrating. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back