Rodent Breeding Rack Good Tubs To Use And Where Do I Buy Them

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the size of your rack. If you haven't already made the rack shop around in the cheap shops and see what's best for you and then build the rack to suit the tubs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not at the moment. We culled all of our bteeders when we moved recently. Also have less snakes now. Will be setting up a smaller setup soon.

Sorry to hear that, particularly the forced reduction of snakes. When you did have a set up (and more snakes) did you find it worked fairly well? Just thinking about maintenance, time, injuries to snakes, and ultimately cost (I certainly spend a pretty penny each month at the local pet shop).

What injuries to snakes?
We did a fair bit of troal and error until we came up with a system that worked for us. We had 1 pair to a tub and spare tubs for males once the babies were born. Mesh lid with wooden surround to sit around the tub. Once babies were weaned they were put into a grow out tub until they were of suitable size to be culled.

What injuries to snakes?
Slightly concerned about the rats not being happy about becoming food and scratching or biting the snakes, though this concern may be unfounded. Sounds like a tidy set-up, was there much up-keep? I've heard that they can also generate a bit of a pong?

Thanks for the insight, glad it is cheaper than buying rats from a shop.

You don't feed live rats, it's both inhumane and against the law. Upkeep is minimal but yes the smell can be bad unless you change their bedding regularly.

There are several ways. We found the easiest for us was/is the sodastream and a piece of plastic tubing from Bunnings. Stick the rat (s) into a plastic bag and feed the tubing in. Hold the bag top and press the sodastream once or twice in short bursts and then wait until they stop breathing.

It's only really worthwhile if you have 6 snakes or more. Even then you need to weigh up the costs of bedding (wood shavings) and food (rat pellets). The best alternative is to find a breeder in your area that sells rats and mice.

Not a large scale rodent breeder, I've only got a couple of pythons, a 10 month old Spotted and an 11 month old Stimmie that both just progressed onto Hopper mice, but I breed my own mice in a simple twin 2ft tank setup... Currently have 3 adult females and 1 male and 15 weaners at 4 weeks old today ready to go. I trade mine for frozen rodents at the local pet store, saves me having to euthanise them myself, I'd have no probs with it but my 2 daughters would be shattered, so breeding mice to trade for frozen mice works out good for me.
20171112_191247.jpg
20171112_191233.jpg
These guys will go to good homes and I'll get some frozen snake food in return.
20171111_112811.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back