Newbie Being A Newb

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MelleMMelleM

Reaction score
Hi!

I have just applied for a reptile licence and I am wanting a o purchase a reptile, if approved, for my sons birthday in April. I was wondering if would be able to possibly help me with what would be a good choice for a first time reptile owner. I was thinking blue tongue/gecko/bearded dragon. Are they goodfo being handled by young children? My son will be turning 9, he is autistic and adores all kinds of animals, and has been asking for a reptile for some time. I would appreciate any and all help dearly!

Thanks.

Hello this is just my opinion based on my experience . Iv owned geckos and dragons and definitely the dragons are better as my ones were great with my kids and very calm . My geckos like most didn't like being handled at all let alone by my kids ... hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never owned beardies or geckos, but I do have a blue tongue. They are slow-moving and easy-going, and ours has put up wonderfully with my younger cousins prodding him over the years. From what I have heard, a beardie would also be a good choice, but Geckos generally seem to be stressed with handling and are more of a 'look but don't touch' kind of pet.

Hey there.
I'm sure it will be appproved in time- mine was emailed back to me within the hour!

Geckos are probably the thing you want least. They're more of a 'look don't touch' kind of animal, and are much more delicate than a bigger animal.
From what I've been told, they are a fantastic display animal, but can be fussy and hard to handle.
Also easily lost as they are very quick, and a small lapse of attention might mean the gecko is already hiding behind a wall!

I've never owned a Beardie before, but again, I've heard they can be a bit fussy with their food, and do need more precise care than something like a Bluey. Great characters and very amusing, but can also be very quick moving and can appear to be threatening and 'scary' to young children.

My own Bluey is a dream pet for a kid.
Laid back, eats whatever's put in front of him, and very tolerant of being picked up, held, petted, poked, and even dropped (whoops! he doesn't seem to realise that there is a drop at the end of the couch...).
They can be surprisingly quick in there stubby little feet, but the advantage of having a big lizard is that they are very unlikely to get through cracks in the wall, under a door, or anywhere else.
I must have 'misplaced' my bluey a hundred times (escaped, turned my back for a second, she opened her cage up, forgot to close the enclousure) and have found her within 10 mins of searching. Always under the fridge... being big means, unless you've got your doors wide open, there isn't really anywhere to go!

Baby blueys can be small and fidgety, so getting an adult (5+ years old) would be worth mentioning. Even better would be to find someone who is selling their 'pet' skink (as opposed to an animal who has been used for breeding and may not have been handled so much) and knows the animals is tame and tolerant.

Best of luck with your new pet :)

I would give your son a choice of what reptile he would like to keep. Maybe keep it simple, as suggested in this thread and give him the choice of a few different breeds.

My son has recently shown interest in keeping a Jungle Python and I'm going to be making him research and do everything himself to get the setup just right. (with my help of course)

Beardies and blueys are both two of your best bets for first reptiles that can be handled. Also both very easy to look after. An older one would be better, as Buggster has suggested. Juveniles can be a little flighty. If you think your son has the patience, by all means get him a younger one; that way he can learn as the lizard grows.
And as Stompsy has rightly said, do your research. There is plenty of info on the net, and a couple of good books out there. And ask your questions on here.

My advice for what it's worth :
> look seriously at either a bluetongue (juvenile) or a central beardie (hatchling) as the kid's first pet reptile, both species make excellent pets and both tend to become ubertame and friendly and even affectionate (they enjoy and will seek out their human for cuddles), adults of either can be great pets too BUT you will not know for certain how it's been cared for and what it's been fed when young and growing and might be buying a lizard who has hidden life threatening health issues, hatching beardies can be very skittish (not all , pick one who seems very relaxed when picked up and who readily snuggles into you) , young BTs seem more laid back and more smoogy (in my limited experience) but can be boisterous (wanting to crawl all over you).
> both are relatively easy care (for a retiles)
> geckos can be more of challenge to care for.

Make sure the child knows the pet lizard IS NOT a toy and needs to handled gently.

AND make sure YOU do YOUR homework before visiting a breeder or shock horror - a pet shop , to make sure you know the scaley child's care needs and requirements. Set up the enclosure BEFORE you buy the lizard, make sure you have lighting and heating setup beforehand, and make sure you are ready for the time and commitment involved in keeping and caring for a beardie or bluetongue skink (younger lizards - BTS babies and juveniles and beardie hatchlings and juveniles require feeding at least twice per day and will eat LOTS of insects (expensive bought from pet shops).

Depending on your child's age, you are likely to wind up having to do the caring, cleaning and feeding, are you ready for that. Don't get me wrong, you'll quickly bond with the pet lizard and you'll enjoy interacting with it and watching it.

I've had water skinks, beardies, and bluetongues and all are great as pets (and very interactive and full of character and personality and all mine have become uberaffectionate , even the water skink ! - Wriggles the Water Skink even came when called and loved sleeping in cupped hand, snuggling in the crook of my elbow or up under my chin and even put herself back to bed when she was ready to sleep.
I'd recommend a water skink only they are very tiny as babies and juveniles and can be flighty and need to be handled gently esp when young. IMO they are more than a display reptile.
If your child is mature in the head and over 10 , a water skink will be another option BUT they are hard to find (captive bred).
My current brace of beardies are great with my grandson (6 yrs) and follow my wife and me about the house like cats/dogs and seek out their human mom and dad for snuggles. My BTs were the same.

Last edited:
Hi!

I have just applied for a reptile licence and I am wanting a o purchase a reptile, if approved, for my sons birthday in April. I was wondering if would be able to possibly help me with what would be a good choice for a first time reptile owner. I was thinking blue tongue/gecko/bearded dragon. Are they goodfo being handled by young children? My son will be turning 9, he is autistic and adores all kinds of animals, and has been asking for a reptile for some time. I would appreciate any and all help dearly!

Thanks.

All great suggestions.

Handling can be hit and miss depending on the individual but you're on the right track.

Wriggles the Water Skink even came when called

This type of advice is terribly misleading to someone new to reptiles.

How so ? this is what she did , she was indeed that cleaver.
All great suggestions.

Handling can be hit and miss depending on the individual but you're on the right track.

This type of advice is terribly misleading to someone new to reptiles.

I think everything that's need to be said has been, but i'll throw my opinion out there too,
As Stompsy said I think it's worthwhile getting your son involved in the whole process, particularly picking the species itself. He will be much more likely to be involved in its care and such, if it's a species he actually likes and has an interest in.
Geckos are definitely a no go for handling, they like to jump. I'd personally go with the bluetounge, just because it's a little easier than a Bearded Dragon, and more hardy IMO. Also, not sure what sate you are in, but in VIC at least, you can keep a certain type without a license.
I don't think the age of the lizard really matters as long as you get it from a reliable source. There are tons of people who want to get rid of their bluetounges afterall. Or if you're in QLD, RSPCA does reptile adoptions, in which all reptiles are guaranteed healthy. With an adult, you know what you're getting into, in terms of size and temperament.
As said kingofnobbys said, at the end of the day it's most likely going to be you looking after it. You have to make sure that you've got all the info, and eventually as your son gets older, he would take on more of the responsibility I assume.
With my last point, i'm not intended to offend you or your son, but please practice supervised handling. Make sure you are there in case something goes wrong, lizards are wild animals afterall and can be unpredictable. I don't even leave my reptiles alone with inexperienced adults.
Best of luck!

You mean Lizzy, the wild caught Water Skink?

You must think I'm an idiot.

.... no her name was Wriggles and she was bought as baby from a breeder at a SOFAS show .

Go away Wally , you are adding nothing useful here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back