Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of my lizards have disappeared for days (and if they did I'd probably lose it), only for a couple of hours at most as the cat helps me find them, in a way. I probably wouldn't have even known my female was out if it wasn't for the cat pestering me to go into the kitchen. I then heard a scratching noise coming from behind the fridge and there she was, crawling around in the warm motor. Likewise when my largest tristis had escaped the cat alerted me to its location by sitting near the door and staring up at the fly-screen where the monitor had been climbing.

When feeding the Netted Dragons I'm always afraid that in their excitement, they might launch themselves out of the enclosure. They don't seem to want to escape but they know that my hands in close proximity and my opening the door means food. Heck, even when I walk by they perk up and hang out around the door.

@OshkiiMy indicus also got out recently due to a faulty lock on the enclosure, unfortunately she didn't survive the excursion. Never buying a URS enclosure again.

Sorry about your indicus, Smitti. What's a URS enclosure, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah my Ackie got out a few months after I bought him. He was so tiny I didn't even bother looking, but about a week later I heard him scratching around under my bed. I did a victory lap with him in my hand when I caught him shouting 'I FOUND THE LIZARD!' over and over again, which probably didn't help his stress levels, but I was rather excited. It amazes you what they can squeeze through. Don't feel too bad Oshkii. It happens to everyone by the sounds of things, and I doubt it has anything to do with poor husbandry on your side. All of your animals seem beautifully cared for.

Thanks Evil_Birdy, I try to keep the lizards happy.

Last edited:
@Oshkii URS are a local distributor/manufacturer of reptile accessories, bulbs, heat emitters, etc. They also sell glass terrariums, kind of like a local answer to those rather expensive Exo-terra glass boxes. Not the highest quality but not bad, I just didn't expect the integrated lock to be such rubbish.

Last edited:
The same Mertens that Smitti found sitting on his lounge once escaped for us. My wife and son could not find him anywhere. I came home from work, and found him sitting on a bookshelf, on top of the books, not even disturbing the photos in front of the books.

The same Mertens that Smitti found sitting on his lounge once escaped for us. My wife and son could not find him anywhere. I came home from work, and found him sitting on a bookshelf, on top of the books, not even disturbing the photos in front of the books.
He seems to have two settings: graceful, gentle giant and Godzilla, bulldozer of all in his way

A family member sent me some photos of a small monitor, wanting to know what it was. I identified it as a juvenile Sand Goanna (Varanus gouldii). It was found near the grain bins in Borden. Seeing all these large terrestrial monitors of late is starting to give me silly ideas that need stamping out.

Gouldii2.jpg
Gouldii.jpg

You guys are a bad influence. I don't know if it's going to be plausible. I've only so much space and I would like to keep many more species. Not to mention it sounds like applying for a cat 5 licence is going to be quite a hassle, and finding breeders won't be easy. Perhaps one day.

Space?! Mate if you saw my place.. you know you can fit more [emoji13].. i just picked up another 3 enclosures.. wanting to get a few more monitors... never enough i my veiws

add me on instagram murph_BTK

Oshkii, larger monitors can live outside in an outdoor enclosure, especially one that might be more suited to your local climate.

My house is on the small side and the bed room is out of the equation due to DpAW restrictions, so there's not much room at all. They would definitely go in an outdoor enclosure if I do get any. Already know what species of large varanid I have my eyes on and they naturally occur here so it could perhaps work.

My house is on the small side and the bed room is out of the equation due to DpAW restrictions, so there's not much room at all. They would definitely go in an outdoor enclosure if I do get any. Already know what species of large varanid I have my eyes on and they naturally occur here so it could perhaps work.

Oooo... what species?

That's a gorgeous little Goulds btw.

@Oshkii do you own your home or are renting?

Renting at the moment.

Oooo... what species?

That's a gorgeous little Goulds btw.

Heath Monitor, Stompsy. But it's still going to be a long time before I get some, if I do. Want to make sure I'm capable first.

Took a few photos of my largest tristis as I moved him and the female into their new enclosure. I'm quite happy with it and they seem to be more at ease in it. His appetite appears to be returning which is good.

Grumpyaps.jpg
fulllshotaps.jpg

Several pages back on this thread, I posted a photo of our Spencer's monitor. Here is an updated photo of it in its new enclosure. Unusually for a monitor, it had been a problem feeder, until we moved it into its new enclosure. Now, it is living on our back verandah, and eating like a, well like a monitor, lol.

Resized_20170130_163627.jpeg

Latest posts

Back