Stimson Python, Poor Feeding Habits Due To A Cat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swazi

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've had a stimson python for a few years now. She's always been a poor & fussy feeder, apart from a brief period at the beginning of summer a year ago. She seems otherwise healthy and active enough though, and roughly 2.5'-3' long now. Generally I only run a heat pad under half the tank during the winter months.

However, I've since moved into a place where we also have a cat, and was wondering if the presence of a predator in the house might be effecting the python's feeding?

The snake is secure, and I'm not silly enough to contemplate introducing the two to each other. The cat does seem to enjoy watching the snake, and I'm fairly sure what's on her mind. The snake, on the other hand, doesn't appear worried either way.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
swaz..

She is most likely not feeding as the temps in her tank are just not warm enough.

Snakes need a hotspot of 30-35 degrees during the day.
My Stimson's gets a hotspot of 33 degrees from 8am - 7pm in the summer. 8am - 5pm in winter.
Having it only in the winter is really not enough to get the optimal temp for your snake to eat.

My Stimsons lives next to dogs, cats, lizards and other snakes. He isn't it all fussed with them and eats like a champ.
He was a bit fussy in the beginning when I first got him and was still getting everything sorted. Once he had a day/night cycle and a constant hotspot, he doesn't miss a feed at all.
Yesterday was his 7th successful feed in a row (he eats once a week).

Just thought I'd mention my guy is only 2 years old and on 100cms long and about 400g.

All of my lizards are in constant view of the cat and they seem to be fine. My monitor lizards usually shoot off to their hides when I'm close to their enclosures, but when the cat presses his face close they don't even bat an eyelid.

As Buggster said, heating is most likely the issue. These species come from a pretty hot area, and as a result need a fair amount of heat, not enough to cook the snake, but enough to stimulate appetite, a cold reptile isn't likely to eat afterall.
You also mentioned a heatpad being on in winter? Do you supply any heat during the rest of the year? If not, i'd highly suggest getting into a natural brumation/feeding pattern. By that I mean you have your heat source on for a longer time in the warmer months, and during this time feed the snake. But then decrease the heat in the colder months, during which time the snake will brumate and not eat at all. When the snake comes out of brumation, it should be very hungry.

G'day All,

thanks for the replies..

seems i was either misinformed when i bought my little snake, or I failed to digest the information I was given properly... there definitely wasn't clear lines of communication, at any rate.. I've been trying to keep the tank in the high 20's C the entire time I've had her. She's seemed active and content enough, apart from the feeding issue, so I didn't question it.

the enclosure is an Exo Terra Natural Terrarium Medium/Wide measuring 60 x 45 x 45 cm / 24” x 18” x 18” (WxDxH) with a single heat pad of unknown brand (i don't think tipping her upside down to check the brand is a good idea) under about half the floor space. Any recommendations as to the best method to getting it up to the desired temperature?

I was also told that this enclosure would be big enough for her, for her entire life. Is this actually the case?

cheers,
swaz..

My Stimson's have a heat pad all year round, if they are too cold, they seek out the heat, if they are hot, they have a cool area to climb driftwood stick to hang off. Stimson's don't like high trees to hang from , they prefer smaller bushes so the Driftwood is good for them to feel at home. I use tubs like take away food containers which you can buy to use as water dishes, they like to slide through every once and a while, this way they have enough humidity to shed properly. I use a fine stubstrate and some course items so they can start the shed off easily, it is an interesting process. Heat is a problem if they don't eat, they need to use heat to digest their food so heat is the key to them getting hungry. I don't worry about the atmosphere heat because in the wild, temps can get pretty cold especially at night in their normal habitat.

My Stimson's have a heat pad all year round, if they are too cold, they seek out the heat, if they are hot, they have a cool area to climb driftwood stick to hang off. Stimson's don't like high trees to hang from , they prefer smaller bushes so the Driftwood is good for them to feel at home. I use tubs like take away food containers which you can buy to use as water dishes, they like to slide through every once and a while, this way they have enough humidity to shed properly. I use a fine stubstrate and some course items so they can start the shed off easily, it is an interesting process. Heat is a problem if they don't eat, they need to use heat to digest their food so heat is the key to them getting hungry. I don't worry about the atmosphere heat because in the wild, temps can get pretty cold especially at night in their normal habitat. Also I have 3 cats, they know of each other. The cats watch the Snakes but that is about all, I have taught the cats that they can't have a lap when I have a Snake out and they are fine with that. The Snakes don't really care about the Cats so this wouldn't be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back