Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleyyedwards7

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 9 month old Bredl has mites. I have bought permoxin and TOD. The TOD hasn't arrived in the post yet so only have the permoxin.

My current plan is to treat her with the permoxin and quarantine her in a treated click clack in a different room to her enclosure, bathing her everyday in luke warm water with a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid to drown the mites on her. Just wondering, is it best to bath the snake with the permoxin (and for how long) or spray? And to what dilution? I've heard 5 ml permoxin to 200 ml water. Do I avoid spraying her face even though she has mites on it?

I was also thinking of setting off a flea bomb in the room where she is normally kept, leaving the enclosure open with everything still in it (except her obviously). Then once the TOD arrives I will remove everything from her enclosure and use the TOD to clean it out and will allow it to air out. Will keep her quarantined for a week.

I will then repeat the permoxin treatment 11 days after first treatment.

Is there any part of this plan that I should change? Any other tips?

Cheers!!

Hi Ashley

Can't specifically answer your question but if you Google TOD mites, the top search result is a post from this site in 2008 discussing treating mites with TOD. Hope it helps.

Hi Ashley

Can't specifically answer your question but if you Google TOD mites, the top search result is a post from this site in 2008 discussing treating mites with TOD. Hope it helps.

Thanks Ian, very helpful read!

I'd spray the snake's body from neck down with your permoxin solution, and just dab around the eyes (especially) and head, and under the chin with a cotton bud dipped in the solution, then place the snake in a clean tub without rinsing (the snake!). This should be all you need to do the the animal itself, then concentrate on the enclosure and room with the flea/cockroach bomb. Leave the snake in the clean click-clack, on clean paper towel or white paper for a couple of weeks - this will show up any mites not killed (re-treat only if necessary).

Jamie

Advice on how to treat them with sprays like TOD seems to have changed slightly recently. The method is much simpler now.

Have a look at this video. I've only had them once back in the day but my approach was quite similar and it was solved very quickly.

I'd spray the snake's body from neck down with your permoxin solution, and just dab around the eyes (especially) and head, and under the chin with a cotton bud dipped in the solution, then place the snake in a clean tub without rinsing (the snake!). This should be all you need to do the the animal itself, then concentrate on the enclosure and room with the flea/cockroach bomb. Leave the snake in the clean click-clack, on clean paper towel or white paper for a couple of weeks - this will show up any mites not killed (re-treat only if necessary).

Jamie

Cheers Jamie! I bathed her last night in the solution for just 5 min after having her in clean water to give her time to drink before the permoxin solution, however when I repeat the treatment I will do it the way you have suggested. She is currently in a clean click clack lined with white paper and I can see lots of dead mites, woohoo! Thanks for your help.

Advice on how to treat them with sprays like TOD seems to have changed slightly recently. The method is much simpler now.

Have a look at this video. I've only had them once back in the day but my approach was quite similar and it was solved very quickly.

Thanks for that Saximus, gave me some good tips.

A relatively easy and painless way to handle snake mites:

We have two snakes and we found that they were both infested with snake mites. We successfully treated them over six months earlier using a spray on them and cleaning and spraying enclosures one week apart and so I was puzzled where they came from this time. Still don’t know.

And the thought of going through the mite treatments again, for two snakes and their enclosures was a pain. And again one week later. And since we sometimes let them out to wander about the house, I had no desire to try and treat the places where they had been exploring. So I decided to try something new.

First of all I gave each snake an extra water bowl that they could totally submerge in, which they quickly started using. Mites would drown and drop off the snakes into the bathing bowl – this was a good indicator of of the extent of the infestation.

Then I ordered some predatory mites - Hypoaspis miles – and they hunt down and eat snake mites. Emphasis is on the fact that they hunt and eat snake mites, not snakes, humans or anything else.

They come in a 1Kg tub and costs about $60 ordered over the internet. Spread the soil (a couple of tablespoons) that they came in, into the enclosures and in a couple of days the snakes had white mites crawling all over them. This freaked us out, until we realized, these, were the good guys, hunting down and eating all the irritating snake mites. Within a couple of weeks there were no more mites at all, good or bad. The snake mites were all hunted down and we do not have any problem with snake mites, even months after the infestation. The good mites (Hypoaspis miles) died out once there were no more snake mites to hunt down and eat.

My daughter has better eyes than me and she can quickly spot mites on our snakes, no matter how small. There have been no more mites since.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back