Spotted Python Shed Twice In 5 Days

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex.snaith

Reaction score
Hey all.

My hatchling Blonde Spotted Python just shed again, after shedding on Friday night, 5 days ago.

Why could this be happening.

Her humidity is 50% give or take a few and her hotspot is on a heat mat of 34 degrees. I am currently trying to feed her small rat pinkies.

Cheers. Alex

5 days is a bit strange but there are a few possible reasons and so long as its a one off I wouldn't be too worried.
Mites, retained eye cap or some other issue aggravating the surface of the skin can cause this. Growth spurt is possible though 5 days is a bit close for that and more likely would be some kind of skin irritation.......How often are you feeding?

Hey mate. She has had 15 feeds since she was born on the 1st of November, hasn't fed though since the 14th of January. She hasn't fed once since then, not even interested in food.

Temperatures are 34 in the warm end, 28 in the cool. Humidity is 50-65% which is good i believe. Has water all the time. Using not toxic kitty litter as a substrate. Is this bad?

Alex

Hey mate. She has had 15 feeds since she was born on the 1st of November, hasn't fed though since the 14th of January. She hasn't fed once since then, not even interested in food.

Temperatures are 34 in the warm end, 28 in the cool. Humidity is 50-65% which is good i believe. Has water all the time. Using not toxic kitty litter as a substrate. Is this bad?

Alex

Where they both full sheds? Or is it possible she only got half of in the first go
Then got the rest off 5 days later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again I think 28 at the cool end is possibly too hiigh but Im no expert in this species and am only speaking in general terms.
I keep all my hatchies on paper towel/newspaper. I do use kitty litter with adults but could the dust be causing some irritation in a hatchy?
Anyone else used kitty litter with hatchies want to share their experience?

You will probably find it might not eat in an enclosure. If you put it into a click clack tub on a heat mat or cord, with paper towel as substrate rather than anything else, you will find it should eat.
26 is probably still too warm for the cool end.

It is technically a click clack, just quite a large one. Will take photos when I get home.

I've got a Jungle that's shed twice in 3 months. Fed every 10 days on fuzzy rats. Both sheds perfect. Twice in 5 days is unusual. If your worried see your vet even if it's just to put your mind at ease.

It's not unusual for an antaresia to shed twice in a short space of time. As Paul and Kitty said above, it might not have been a full shed, even if it might have looked like it.
Wait and see if it happens again; then there could be something else going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back