Rodent Classification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icuucme2

Reaction score
hi im trying to find a site that tells me rat babies classification eg fussies, hoppers, small,med etc the age of these. I found 2 but there different from each other. thanks

hi im trying to find a site that tells me rat babies classification eg fussies, hoppers, small,med etc the age of these. I found 2 but there different from each other. thanks

I find there different depending on the breeder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to find a breeder/supplier that you like, and stick with them. That way when you order a certain size, you know what you are getting. When we buy in bulk, we always use the same bloke, and if the rats are undersized, he usually gives us extras.

pinefamily I breed my own rats but I have someone who wants to buy from me but they only know like hoppers and fuzzies etc, I only know tham by weight or age. Ronhalling thank you it does help. I also use gas I don't or will use or sell live for reptile food. thanks all for your help

Common names such as pinky, fuzzie, hopper refer to the age or maturity of the rodent and will vary in weight depending upon the strain of rodents bred. Lab rats may have mature weights of up to a kilo whereas most commercially bred rats peak at half that. Maturity is important , particularly in younger sizes as it reflects the nutrient content and fiber within the food item.

thanks wokka I have em on a g/pig mix and I have added more seed and oats and a cheap breakfast cereal also a small amount of a high protein horse feed. plus fruit and vegies. I was enquiring about the classification as I don't want to rip anyone off and kept my price low/

Some buyers want the cheapest and will always feel ripped off, whilst others are happy to pay for the convenience of consistent quality and reliability of supply. Its a huge market with all sorts of demand.

some pics of some of my maternity cages for the rats they only hold 1 female and her litter till there 3 weeks old than there moved into a bigger cage. nothing flash but they do the job

rcage2.jpg

after the last 2 days of 40 plus temps, and all attempts to keep my rats cool with frozen water bottles and cold water for drinking done every hour, I lost 28 bubs this was a huge whack for me. but at least so far I didn't loose any adults so will be all put back to males. still another week to go with high temps.

I do have a couple with squares cut into the lids as well as the front and back I lost the bubs in there I also had some in a large birdcage all wire and they all died in that as well I am assuming there was a shocking warm wind that may have killed them as the day b4 was 40 and I lost no one but I will add that to my lids wokka thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back