Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

presey

Reaction score
hey everyone!
So I've had my Woma for around 2 weeks now and before I received her she had just finished her shed (that day)
She shed's well and feeds like a champ!
But I've noticed today when I came home it was a little cooler in her enclosure and when I got her out I noticed her eyes were cloudy/blue and she was a little discoloured. I haven't really heard or experienced in the past snakes shedding within two weeks together. She is great to handle, but a little cage defensive like most.

Also I noticed she had a couple of little scales sticking up not far from her head so I thought she might be shedding due to that, but the only thing different in her enclosure is a big fake rock type thing I put in the corner a few days ago. I'm really worried as I don't really have the spare funds currently to take her to the vets. I'm located on the Gold Coast and the weather has been quite warm. I just don't know what's going on or what to do!

P.S I checked her mouth and its normal

The picture in her tank is from Friday, the one on the carpet is today

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes it does/can happen.
There are several potential reasons for this the most likely of which is it's going through a growth spurt.
If it happens again there might be some medical causes that need to be considered but for the moment don't worry too much.

Yep, coming up for another shed. Don't handle the snake until it sheds again - sometimes the old layer can be torn or damaged as it's separating from the developing skin underneath.

Jamie

My woma is a 1&1/2 year old and shed 3 times in six weeks . Just a growth spurt nothing to worry about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for responding. I just haven't seen this before and started to worry. I also haven't seen her eyes go white/blue so early before one as well it basically happened overnight. I'll keep an eye on her though.

I noticed my python would shed everytime I upped the food size as he was growing up, even if he'd just shed recently. Just having a stretch I guess.

Do you know how long the shed should take? He must be 3 days in atm I took him out so I could give him a bath (placed him in a shallow couple of cm of warm water in a pillow case for 20+ minus to help loosen his skin as he hasn't spent much time out of his hide even though he is warm.

I saw him Saturday night and he was fine and then on Monday his eyes were white and blue like in the picture and his colour was dull. I just wasn't expecting him to shed so quickly since I am feeding him the same as what the breeder did before me.

image.jpeg

Every snake is different but usually the eyes will go back to clear and they shed within a few days of that. Having said that, some take longer.

How long do they take to go back to clear though? I'm thinking they went white on Sunday or Monday

There is no set amount of time unfortunately.... each snake and each shed is different.

Can take a week or even 2, (Most people average it out at 10 days). There are many factors that can affect the period of time neededLeave the poor thing alone to do its thing.

She's due for a feed today, but I'm assuming I shouldn't feed her until she's finished the shed? Her eyes haven't gone clear yet either

I took him out so I could give him a bath (placed him in a shallow couple of cm of warm water in a pillow case for 20+ minus to help loosen his skin as he hasn't spent much time out of his hide even though he is warm.

Snakes (even baby ones) have been shedding their skins without the need for a bath for eons, please leave the poor thing alone and let if be a snake. Your interference will do far more harm than just leaving it to its own devices and letting the process take whatever time it takes.

Jamie

Hey guys thanks for all your answers!
That's exactly what I've been doing but I noticed today she is now going into her third shed since I bought her on the 10th of January and she only just had a shed when I bought her that day.

I've never experienced this with a snake before, the guy I bought her off was feeding her two baby frozen chickens per week and I struggling to see if she's shedding because she's getting bigger or if something is wrong.

There is nothing wrong - how many posts here have assured you of that? And don't bath the poor thing, just leave it alone to complete the process.

Jamie

Yeah leave alone . My Woma is in its 5th shed now making it 5 in 13weeks . It's just how it is as Jamie said. But it's good that you care about your animals welfare ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but 4 in a month is odd and she's not a juvinile. What would assure me is if there was actual documents on it or in books but it's not so that's why I'm here. I rather be safe than sorry Jamie.

And I have a lot of experience with snakes as I use to work for a reptile park and I've never seen this in snakes that are in or reaching adult hood.

I feel like the breeder I got her from might of been over feeding her since he was giving her two baby chickens a week but she's not overweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back