Breeding/wild Caught, Snails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
was wondering if anyone breeds/has bred snails for lizard food?
Under the advice of several people, I am currently using wild caught snails, which have been quarantined for a month, which are then fed to my Pink Tounge Skink. He loves them, but I am anticipating that I will run out very fast, especially since he takes 2 or so every feed.
Not sure if the garden out back has enough to keep up, plus the quarantine time.
Has anyone had an success breeding garden snails? Or have any tips on how to do it?
I've seen some of the snails displaying the mating behavior, but i've yet to find any eggs.
Any info is appreciated, thanks! :)

Not sure on breeding them but someone must because you can buy them frozen in packs at my local pet shop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find Agapanthus and you will find snails. Walk the streets and it shouldn't take lang to collect a couple of hundred. No risk if you are quarantining them.
that's fine in normal weather but it is almost a drought here,I find a few snails in my travels and bring them back here to put in my garden but they quickly disappear.
I tried to farm them but it only worked for 1 season.

Not sure on breeding them but someone must because you can buy them frozen in packs at my local pet shop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, will have a look at a couple of petstores to see if they have any.

Believe it or not there is a whole network of semi and professional growers here in Oz, most of them are around the Central Coast of NSW but they generally act as a co-op and market through one person, if you Youtube the snail growers here in OZ its enlightening topic.../www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjIYbZ65LmY WR

Wow I had no idea, mostly for Escargot I suppose. Don't know if'd they'd be willing to ship to VIC, but i'll have a look for some closer. Thanks for sharing the video, what an interesting setup.

Find Agapanthus and you will find snails. Walk the streets and it shouldn't take lang to collect a couple of hundred. No risk if you are quarantining them.

Thanks for the tip! Think there are some by the local basketball courts..
Will go for a trip tomorrow, hopefully regenerate the supply.

Best time for snail hunting is during/after rain, I have no idea where they go when it's dry,....I think they must bury themselves in the mulch.
I found a local agapanthus patch that I raid regulary after heavy rains, never take them all, I seem to have cleared out the first snailey patch I found completely!

Believe it or not there is a whole network of semi and professional growers here in Oz, most of them are around the Central Coast of NSW but they generally act as a co-op and market through one person, if you Youtube the snail growers here in OZ its enlightening topic.../www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjIYbZ65LmY WR
can you give us a name or number mate?
I'd love to get some for our bluies,they haven't had snail for more than a year

I remember a while ago someone posted on a Facebook thread that they'd started using canned snails from an Asian market. It was incredibly cheap and effective they claimed. Just food for thought!

I remember a while ago someone posted on a Facebook thread that they'd started using canned snails from an Asian market. It was incredibly cheap and effective they claimed. Just food for thought!
I went hunting for canned snails from Asian Supermarkets but couldn't find any! If anyone knows somewhere in Melbourne that stocks them, I'm all ears because my girl won't eat anything else and I'm slowly running low.....

What would people be willing to pay for fresh live snails and what quantities would people be after per sale? I have a supplier and can purchase in bulk. I would be able to freight them through Australia Post at the buyers cost.

Scut.

Last edited:
I collect hundreds of garden snails from my garden after each time it rains and put them in a plastic container and freeze them in the freezer. I give them to a lady who keeps pink tongues, once out of the freezer, the snails thaw and become active again. I never knew that until she told me to collect them for her and freeze them.

I collect hundreds of garden snails from my garden after each time it rains and put them in a plastic container and freeze them in the freezer. I give them to a lady who keeps pink tongues, once out of the freezer, the snails thaw and become active again. I never knew that until she told me to collect them for her and freeze them.

That's insane, thanks for the tip, will try it myself. Have a very hungry bluey :p

Well, that's interesting... and beats trying to keep the slimy little things happy... might have to try this. Thanks :)

I collect snails from my garden too, but I keep them for a couple weeks to make sure that they haven't injested any poison, or have any parasites.
Maybe I'm just being overly cautious lol

I collect snails from my garden too, but I keep them for a couple weeks to make sure that they haven't injested any poison, or have any parasites.
I don't think that's overly cautious given the rat lung worm parasite etc. I don't keep any snail loving lizards myself and feeding terrestrial snails to turtles is a big no no so I'm happy to offload them to people that want them for their blue/pink tongues.

I do this too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back