Woma Hatchies Won't Eat, Been 3 Weeks, Can They Die?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marchs

Reaction score
Getting nervous.... woma hatchies won't eat. Been 3 weeks since first shed (10 days after hatching).
Have tried all the recommended techniques "brainings", tails, wiggles, lizard blood .....
I'm dropping a pinkie mouse infront of hide at night and collecting in morning.
They just aren't interested. They are active, tongues wagging and try to escape enclosure.
They aren't actively defensive but rather quite docile and easy to handle.

Any suggestions? Can hatchies die from not eating?
Note - they are the only 2 surviving hatchies from a clutch of 8 - others failed to pip eggs and drowned (thats another thread all together)

Thanks in advance!

Marc

Hi Marc,

You aren't in the danger period yet. I don't start to stress about non feeding hatchies until close to 3 months after they have hatched.

What temps are you running in their tubs?

You might like to research Assist Feeding. I'm not sure on how difficult Womas are to get feeding but if they are anything like BHP's they can be a pain. Before attempting this yourself try to find someone local to you that has experience who can help to teach you how to deal with these little challanges. Its always good to have a mentor on hand as its easier to demonstrate things often than type explanations.
As mentioned above, check your husbandry then check it again. It's normally something basic that puts most snakes off eating....temp, high traffic areas, feeling secure.

A lot of breeders don't bother offering hatchling pythons food for 10-12 weeks after hatch, when they should be very hungry, but not starving. Healthy babies usually hatch with a gut full of yolk, absorbed as they hatch, to sustain them for at least a couple of months.

Jamie

Hi Marc,

You aren't in the danger period yet. I don't start to stress about non feeding hatchies until close to 3 months after they have hatched.

What temps are you running in their tubs?

cheers 31. plenty of water, low traffic, great hide .....

try this i was suggested it today with a problem feeder and it worked! like so quickly not instantly but within a minute! crack a chicken egg open in a cup, whisk it so the yolk is well mixed. microwave for 15-20 seconds. put frozen pinky in there. let it defrost in the egg. then try feed. my hatchy has eaten once since hatching 3 months ago almost i did this and it ate! was best advice ever! hope it helps!

I've got my hatchies (coastal carpets) at 34 just helps them stay more active
I only offer food at night when there most active
And I offer with the lights off to
My guys are 7 -8 weeks old and I've got 28 out of 36 feeding :)
I also only offer furred prey eg nothing smaller than fuzzies if I can help it! I've found they like them better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back