Broad-headed Snake & Pale-headed Snake Question & Information.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim.Arm

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello again, it's been a few years since I last posted a thread.

As the title suggests I am after certain information regarding the genus: Hoplocephalus. I am only interested in: Broad-headed Snakes - bungaroides and Pale-headed Snakes - bitorquatus. I myself have seen stephensii on the Central Coast numerous times.

The information I want to obtain is based around un-documented sightings within the Central Coast region of NSW. Basically the question that I am asking you's is whether you personally have or heard of anybody of credibility having seen these two species. If you have, i will not be asking exactly where as i know this is a open forum and I don't want you to disclose sensitive information. But if you are willing to i would be more than happy to obtain valuable information through a private message.

From the information i have been able to obtain so far, these species could well live within this range and I myself have conducted field searches without any success.

I have done an extensive search within this forum and on the internet. Sites such as; The Atlas of NSW Wildlife and others that yielded little results. With my finding being inconclusive (or for me personal not satisfying).

Thanks to anybody that reads this and get back to with some information regarding my question. :)

Hi Tim,

FYI, I know bungaroides back the front to a point where Rick Shine asked me to assist John Webb in locating specimens for him to conduct his original research around 20+ years ago and at the time was provided the opportunity to suggest further areas of study for his ongoing research.

I know of a report of one being located at Gosford about 50 years ago and I consider the source of the information very creditable. I remember that many, many years ago prior to this there was also a report of another at Ourimbah. I can't remember exactly who recorded it but have a feeling it may have been Eric Worrell. To my knowledge there have been no other creditable reported sightings since either of these. After hearing of the report of the one from Gosford I spent countless hours over quite a number of years scouring pristine habitat throughout coastal areas north of the Hawksberry River in places like, Brisbane Waters NP, Gosford, Kincumber, Boudii NP, Mangrove Mountain, Peats Ridge & Dharug NP with some of the best know hop men of the time without success. I'm not saying they are not there, but after spending so much time and effort looking for them and coming up empty, like others, I came to conclusion that it is unlikely. It's common belief that the Hawksberry River is a natural geographic barrier, however they do inhabit areas north west of Sydney that provide free access to some of the locations mentioned above but that info is not freely available and I'm reluctant to provide the localities here.

There is also a very recent report of one being discovered by council workers next to the Central Coast Highway at Matcham. Personally I'm inclined to be of the opinion that it was more than probable it was an escapee. My opinion is based on the facts that 1. - Word on the grapevine suggests there are plenty in collections off licence: 2. - It was an adult specimen; and 3. - Given the minimal area of suitable habitat in the location it was found I believe they would have shown up there long before this one.

As you allude there are plenty of stephensii in that area but you won't find bitorquatus around there.

Best of luck with your endeavour. I'd be very interested to know if any do turn up.

Cheers,

George.

Fortunately for me, all the broadies Ive seen have been north of the hawkesbury. Two years ago during a prescribed burn in parr sca I saw a fresh road kill. Another was about 15km west of colo heights similar timeframe as above but was live and discovered after a rock dislocation. Ive seen one off putty road and then my furthest northern sighting was in northern wollemi. Over the space of 5 years of casual looking at this site I ve seen 3 there. From the site you can see the hunter valley floor.

For pale heads, Im not familar with the central coast records or their age but along George's thinking could it be that these are misidentified unbanded stephens? The only spots close to there that Ive seen pale heads are manobalai and west of scone.

Hi Bushfire,

The area you mentioned is the location nth west of Sydney that I was referring too.

Cheers,

George.

Hi George, thank you for your valuable insight and quick response, you were the type of person i was appealing to with my question. I have read allot of Rick Shine and John Webb's research papers, what an opportunity that would have been.

I have searched old records on bungaroides and like yourself have heard of credible sightings within those regions you expressed. Within Brisbane Water National Park there is an official sign staying - "that this species has been sighted twice within the National Park". Like yourself i have searched for a number of years within the correct habitat and those same regions north of the Hawkesbury River without success. The only difference being you may have spent more hours then me and with men of such caliber :).

For those areas expressed I too am convinced it's highly unlucky but maybe not complete impossible due to the reason you gave about bungaroides having free free access into areas north west of Sydney. The same protected areas Bushfire then speaks of and you confirm.

Hi Bushfire, Thank you for reading my thread and spending time responding to my question. I am well aware of bungaroides presence within Parrr SCA, Wollemi and Yengo NP. Yet it's Allways good to hear of people like yourself seeing them in areas that they are known to occur.

As for bitorquatus everything I have read has suggested that this species southern most known location is Wyong. As for records there was an old one from 1975, a specimen was observed alive in an area that would have had featured the correct habitat. But due to development and infrastructure within that region, suitable habitat that species needs is very limited. What are both you're thoughts on bitorquatus still inhabiting Wyong? possible even Ourimbah? I have search extensively within those regions and have even found suitable habitat, but still no luck.

If i happen to find either species within the borders of the Central Coast, i will let you's both know. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Just recently the same person who had the sighting of the Gosford broadie was called out to relocate a snake on the Central Coast at a work site.....it was a broadie!

Just recently the same person who had the sighting of the Gosford broadie was called out to relocate a snake on the Central Coast at a work site.....it was a broadie!
Wow that's BIG! especially as we know a snake catcher won't miss identify such an awesome find. HiramAbiff would you happen to know how long ago? If not i think i know who the snake catcher is and might have to get in touch with him. Also random question are you a freemason? if you don't mind me asking. Your name suggests to me that you either are or you know of the story surrounding it.

Last edited:
I think the one found at the worksite might be the same one that was found at Matcham.

I'm pretty skeptical about the reports of bitorquatus in the Wyong area and am of the opinion they were misidentified stephensii.

Rick and John are both top blokes. The reason that Rick asked me to assist was because neither had caught a Broadheaded Snake prior to undertaking the study and knew very little about their ecology.

George.

Last edited:
George, If that's the case about the Matcham worksite, I would have to agree with your three facts and conclusion presented in your first post.

As for the bitorquatus in the Wyong area, your opinion that they were misidentified stephensii could very well be correct. However I am still holding onto a possibility haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back