Nsw Species List

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdzandBeardz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Recently, whilst looking at owning a particular species I found a NSW species code for the animal. When that species code was used in the import/export system it came up with the species even though it is not on the current species list.

I approached Wildlife Licensing about the matter, with the hope they could rectify the issue. Sadly they said what was found was a technical glitch and currently there is a ban on adding to the species list, due to a review process. When I asked about the timeframe of the review is was told there is no planned time of completion.

Investigating into the ban I found a link to the independent review document specifying the theorised changes. What really irked me is this document was published in December 2014. I've heard through gossip channels at herp society meetings that there is a planned meeting soon to discuss with people the process, however I'm wondering if anyone happens to have some sort of 'solid' evidence?

I personally find it pathetic they put a ban on the list after the 2014 report and are still yet to resolve it. Up until now I've always been support of the department, however I'm being swayed over to the broader opinion they are either understaffed, inept or overly bureaucratic...

If I'm factually wrong with any of my statements please feel free to correct me.

Cheers,

Mitch

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong Oshkii, I'm very happy with the diversity of species we are allowed to keep compared to other states.

With that said, the fact that so many states have cumbersome requirements (which in reality serve minimal conservation value) is silly. All it does is create more work for public servants, more work for keepers and a less enjoyable experience for all.

The core argument against cutting crap out of licensing is the impact on wild populations. So many wild populations are more impacted by development or roadkilling, compared to illegal collection. Obviously there are species and populations where illegal collecting is a threat and they should managed accordingly.

I realise the the above said NSW is trying to remove some of the more cumbersome licensing restrictions, but their methodology and time frame irks me!

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

calling for enquiries, investigations and meetings are great ways to avoid actually really doing anything.... 3yrs is a long to be "thinking" about it....chances are no one involved initially remembers anything about the issue or have been moved on (with minister changes). Time for another quongo to help line the pockets of a retired boofocrat who was a mate.

Essentially .... consider yourself fogged off by the boofter you spoke to. he probably didn't appreciate you disrupting his computer game or naptime.

Last edited:
If they put in half an effort to remove many of the illegal exotics that are privately owned, I reckon they could wipe most of them out.

Plain and simple they don't do anything other than keeping their new website open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back