Prolasped Hemipene

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hello,
Just picked up my black headed monitor Odin from Karingal vet hospital. He had a prolapsed hemipene that he could not get back in himself. Dr Trent was amazingly helpful. Highly recomended! Odin was all fixed up without the need for surgary or a single stich so very pleased!

I do have a question for ypu guys though! What would have caused this to happen? He is kept on sand btw. Someome said it was the sand when he was breeding, Dr Trent seems to think otherwise, so just curious what you guys think may have happened.

Opps spelt prolapsed wrong in the tittle. Sorry about that.

It is often a result of the everted hemipenis being dragged over sand or a substrate when the hemipenis has not retracted following copulation. Sometimes hemipenes pop out because of dehydration, if females are in the line of site of the males or if the lizard feels that another male is trying to be dominant over it. The damage caused results in swelling to an extent where the hemipenis is incapable of sliding back in.

It is often a result of the everted hemipenis being dragged over sand or a substrate when the hemipenis has not retracted following copulation. Sometimes hemipenes pop out because of dehydration, if females are in the line of site of the males or if the lizard feels that another male is trying to be dominant over it. The damage caused results in swelling to an extent where the hemipenis is incapable of sliding back in.
Thanks for that mate. First time I have bred anything so its a big learning curve for me. So how do I stop this from happening again? Also does this occur often in wild populations? If not why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back