Woma Tail Flicking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSquat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've noticed my Woma sometimes flicks the end of her tail around, almost like a rattlesnake. She doesn't do it often, only when I'm moving something around in the enclosure at times when she's particularly active. No other signs of aggression and i don't think it's a feeding response. Has anyone else seen this behaviour and know what it means? Is it a threat response? Sure looks like she's p155ed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a feeding response I believe. Never owned a Woma but I've seen it mentioned on here many times. She wants to eat you, or thinks you're going to feed her.

Caudal luring or just plain excited. There are some differing opinions on what it actually means.

My Woma will slap her tail all around the terrarium when I'm feeding her.
She also does it when she is otherwise relaxed and I'm holding her.

Big debate, but most people will agree it is a luring behaviour

Okay, I guess luring means hungry ? I'm still learning how to read her mood and I've seen the YouTube videos on a Woma bite - ouch! Is this not a good time to handle her? Generally she is very placid and handles well.

Snakes are always hungry. They are oppurtunistic feeders by nature, which is very clear to see in a species like the Woma.

My guy would eat three meals a day every day if I let her.

If you're worried about a bite, get a snake hook to lift her from her terrarium. 90% of bites from captive pythons are either cage defensiveness or mistaken identity.
The chances of you being bitten once your snake is out and being handled is very low- unless you smell like mouse!

Thanks. I alway "first touch" with the hook and pretty sure I don't smell like a mouse. I've heard Woma's can be greedy too. Appreciate the advice.

My Womas, BHPs and Jungles all do this. My missus does it too if she's in the mood, but that's only on my birthday for some reason!

My Banded Pygmy Python does this occasionally. I used to feed him by putting him in his feeding tub with his food and let him do his thing. When in food mode he strikes at any movement, including his flicking tail. I now feed him with tongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back