Mercury Vapour Bulbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are suposedly uvb + heat... As in an all in one globe.

I think they are suposedly uvb + heat... As in an all in one globe.
actually heat, bright sunlike yellowish light, very good UVA and UVB levels given off , supposed only bettered by natural midday sunlight. So all in one light source , only negatives are
--- internal circuitry means they must cool off before being restarted
--- can't use a thermostat to moderate the heat output from them
--- a lot tend to be not so durable
--- a lot tend to have very short lifespans
--- light UVA and UVB tends to focused on narrow beam
--- can be quite pricey per unit

I really want to use them with a thermostat ahaha, can risk my little guys getting too hot :)

I really want to use them with a thermostat ahaha, can risk my little guys getting too hot :)
.... the MVB will shut off and simply wont turn back on if you trying to control it with a thermostat, so more than the little guys will get no light, no UVA , no UVB and not enough heat to digest their food and will probably think it's winter and go into brumation.

actually heat, bright sunlike yellowish light, very good UVA and UVB levels given off , supposed only bettered by natural midday sunlight. So all in one light source , only negatives are
--- internal circuitry means they must cool off before being restarted
--- can't use a thermostat to moderate the heat output from them
--- a lot tend to be not so durable
--- a lot tend to have very short lifespans
--- light UVA and UVB tends to focused on narrow beam
--- can be quite pricey per unit
Why can't you use a thermostat? Lol I was going to suggest a dimmining thermostat to solve the longetivity point (which is a fair point). Yeh they are expensive as I said but they are more of an all in one than mercury vapor bulbs, so if I was looking for an all in one, I'd more inclined to go with the sunray. Most MVB's are either only good for heat or only good for uvb, not both. I think they also have the longetivity problem.... You could probably extened the life with dimmining thermostat.

Why can't you use a thermostat? Lol I was going to suggest a dimmining thermostat to solve the longetivity point (which is a fair point). Yeh they are expensive as I said but they are more of an all in one than mercury vapor bulbs, so if I was looking for an all in one, I'd more inclined to go with the sunray. Most MVB's are either only good for heat or only good for uvb, not both. I think they also have the longetivity problem.... You could probably extened the life with dimmining thermostat.
They cant be used with dimming.....they use a self ballasting chamber inside which means they cant be dimmed...

I have no idea lol I just rember the self ballasting and MVB bulbs being connected in some way lol

You can control this by the distance between the bulb and basking site (controls the basking site temp) and generally by ventilation (controls the the ambient temp). You will as with other bulbs have to play around with wattages to meet your basking temp needs but not have too much heat lost in very well ventilated cages.

Sun Ray are metal halides not mvb but have similar restrictions like the mvb. The metal halides normally need an external ballast to work. They have a pricey start up costs but replacements are normally cheaper and running cost cheaper as they are lower wattage bulbs but produce a much better light colour than mvb and produce more heat than the mvb comparsion.

I run all my lizards on metal halides probably for the last 3 yrs or so. Bulb lifespans and UV decay are also much better with metal halides than mvbs.

How much do metal halides usally cost to start up @Bushfire ? Other than sunray (Sunray is really exepensive lol). I've always used a phillips heat globe and a 10.0 uvb (or 5.0 depending on the uvb requierments). Although I've also used ceramic, infrared, and neodymium globes. Only for heat though. MVB's never took my fancy, I've always chased cheap and effective haha

Sun Ray are metal halides not mvb but have similar restrictions like the mvb. The metal halides normally need an external ballast to work. They have a pricey start up costs but replacements are normally cheaper and running cost cheaper as they are lower wattage bulbs but produce a much better light colour than mvb and produce more heat than the mvb comparsion.

I run all my lizards on metal halides probably for the last 3 yrs or so. Bulb lifespans and UV decay are also much better with metal halides than mvbs.
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/exo-terra-sunray-50.html

pretty darned pricey option .... well out of reach price wise for most us here.... $330 per set up , just one globe and control electronics .... might be CLAIMED TO BE better than MVBs , but you can buy a **** load of MVBs for that kind dollars.
price wise and availability wise MVBs which give off bright yellowish/white light, heat , UVA and UVB , are a much better option.

Last edited:
How much do metal halides usally cost to start up @Bushfire ? Other than sunray (Sunray is really exepensive lol). I've always used a phillips heat globe and a 10.0 uvb (or 5.0 depending on the uvb requierments). Although I've also used ceramic, infrared, and neodymium globes. Only for heat though. MVB's never took my fancy, I've always chased cheap and effective haha

It really depends. As you said Sun ray is an expensive brand but there are other options and like whats mentioned above depends on the situation. I bulk import mine from Europe these days but other brands are available. It worked out $40 each ballast and $30 each bulb. Its not too bad a price considering so far I havent had a bad ballast and in the first lot I imported the first to fail was 2 years old and att was still producing acceptable uv readings on my meters. I went down this path after looking to see what the rest of the world was doing and I didnt like the light or heat output of Mvbs.
If your happy with your system great if not research other options.

https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/exo-terra-sunray-50.html

pretty darned pricey option .... well out of reach price wise for most us here.... $330 per set up , just one globe and control electronics .... might be CLAIMED TO BE better than MVBs , but you can buy a **** load of MVBs for that kind dollars.
price wise and availability wise MVBs which give off bright yellowish/white light, heat , UVA and UVB , are a much better option.

Sun Ray are an expensive start up option no doubt but they are not the only reptile suitable metal halide bulb out there. It was only mentioned as a post above confused it with MVB. Most MVBs arent exactly cheap either, you have to shop around and metal halides are the same. There are a few brands that are suitable for reptiles and can be found cheaper than many MVB setups. You are right in that MVBs are more available to keepers than MH but thats easy to overcome and plan.

Like any other setup they have their pros and cons. If I was to run a simple setup I could easily run a 50 watt metal halide in a 1m x 1m x 1m cage while still have the basking spot (30 cm from bulb) at acceptable monitor temps (55oC+) producing acceptable uv readings (6 - 7 UVI) at a safe distance (30 cm), and having a warm enough ambient temp while having a prefectly acceptable cool end temp and producing a natural light colouring, not a yellowish colour.

I wouldnt be so quick to write off MHs over time for me they have proven to be better and cheaper.. They dont have as bad of a decay rate as MVB, light isnt yellow and a 70w MH would put out more heat than a 160w MVB.

Some may find them more appealing than others in their situation sure but in a discussion about UV bulbs etc they can be useful and people may like to know the options available.

Most MHs definitely run a better spectrum than MV. MV definitely run cooler and are cheaper to run hence there cooler running temps. Both are good globes and i wouldn't run either on a thermostat. If money wasn't an option i would run MH. Once globes have turned off they need a cool down period otherwise the globes uv performance and lamp life will deteriorate alot quicker. Like bushfire said there heat output is better and in this sort of application where overall lumen output isn't of the main importance . Heat provided and the quality of light it puts out in the right spectrum is overall better. MV are still a good globe and do provide light in the right spectrum. Id be happy to use either all comes down to the $$$

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As I said earlier the 125w solar glo MVB's I get from ABDF last 6-12 months for less than $50 & work well for me in 3 different setups.The light isn't yellow either.

Can you use a dimming halogen bulbs with a Microclimate Evo pulse thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back