My Jag Has A Heat Mat But Is Still Cold

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eliza_jane

Reaction score
Okay so I've got a bredli jag and she never lies where her heat mat is and whenever i pick her up she feels very cold! Does anyone have any suggestions why she isn't trying to warm herself up? When it's summer and it's really hot i take her off her heat mat and the cooler days she's back on it but she gets really cold.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How old is your snake. If heat Matt is located in the open it might feel threatened if still young and rather hide than get warm. I'm only new to all this and sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with great advice but maybe add a hide on the hot side if there isn't one all ready or add a secondary heat source such as a heat bulb or ceramic heat emitter for it to bask under.

Poswah makes a very good point. If the snake is young/feels threatened by open spaces, it will chose hiding over heating, a baby snake will choose to hide itself and stay alive rather than risking it's life to bask. Is there a hide on the heat mat?
Also you mention taking her off the heat mat on hot days, does your heat mat have a thermostat? If so it should turn itself off when it reaches a certain temp.

Poswah makes a very good point. If the snake is young/feels threatened by open spaces, it will chose hiding over heating, a baby snake will choose to hide itself and stay alive rather than risking it's life to bask. Is there a hide on the heat mat?
Also you mention taking her off the heat mat on hot days, does your heat mat have a thermostat? If so it should turn itself off when it reaches a certain temp.
She's about 2 years old, and at the end of her tub where the heat mat is has something covering it so it's dark, she's sleeping at the opposite end where she's out in the open curled up around her water dish.. usually i would say that's because she's too hot but when i touch her she's literally freezing.. and I've made sure that the heat mat isn't too hot for her.. i did have a thermostat but it broke so i do need to get another one

She's about 2 years old, and at the end of her tub where the heat mat is has something covering it so it's dark, she's sleeping at the opposite end where she's out in the open curled up around her water dish.. usually i would say that's because she's too hot but when i touch her she's literally freezing.. and I've made sure that the heat mat isn't too hot for her.. i did have a thermostat but it broke so i do need to get another one

Hm okay, that is unexpected, I don't know the exact cause of that, hopefully someone else has experience with this situation;
My snakes sometimes spend days in the cool end, but they don't curl around the water dish. Maybe she just feels too warm, could there be a recent streak of really hot weather?
Also bearing in mind, our body temp is around 37 degree's, so in comparison touching a reptile, even if they are 25 degree's will feel very cold.
I would highly recommend getting a Infrared heat gun, you can get them from Bunnings or Autobarn for $40-50, but pricey but a worthwhile investment. It will give an extremely accurate temperature reading of what you point it at.

Just sounds like your snake is thermoregulating itself within its preferred thermal range. Being summer the ambient temperatures within your enclosure may be enough that your snake does not need to bask, or bask for only very short periods of a night. Been a while since I've seen any of my snakes basking and they are all perfectly fine.

Its important for you to remember that your snake as a far better idea of what its body temperature needs to be and when to bask than you do. What may seem cold to you, maybe perfect depending on your snakes metabolic rate and external environment. Just leave it do its own thing.

As long as you provide a variety of hides, correct basking spot temperature and give your snake a nice variation of temperatures within its enclosure you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers, Cameron

Just sounds like your snake is thermoregulating itself within its preferred thermal range. Being summer the ambient temperatures within your enclosure may be enough that your snake does not need to bask, or bask for only very short periods of a night. Been a while since I've seen any of my snakes basking and they are all perfectly fine.

Its important for you to remember that your snake as a far better idea of what its body temperature needs to be and when to bask than you do. What may seem cold to you, maybe perfect depending on your snakes metabolic rate and external environment. Just leave it do its own thing.

As long as you provide a variety of hides, correct basking spot temperature and give your snake a nice variation of temperatures within its enclosure you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers, Cameron
Thank you so much! I just wanted to make sure she was okay

Okay so I've got a bredli jag and she never lies where her heat mat is and whenever i pick her up she feels very cold! Does anyone have any suggestions why she isn't trying to warm herself up? When it's summer and it's really hot i take her off her heat mat and the cooler days she's back on it but she gets really cold.

Don't forget that you body temp is 38c, the mat temp would be about 32c or 33c so It will feel cooler especially during the summer months, your Snake will feel cool as well. Because of this, I have a Laser Thermometer and check the temps regularly because I don't believe the Temp Thermostat reading. As others have said, the Snake will regulate it's own body temp so I wouldn't worry if she doesn't stay on the heat. Also remember, most Snakes living in the wild will be OK in freezing conditions, they seek a place to hide and Brumate. When the day temps go up, the Snakes get moving again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back