Types Of Lights And Supplements For A Stimsons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SerpentWanderer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, tomorrow is the day. I pick up my beauty and start everything. Now I have everything I know I need, even bought "Keeping Childrens Pythons by Greg Fyfe & Darren Green" to have a read etc. All I struggle to understand is what exactly all the different coloured lights do and which other then a basking light is best for my little stimsons? I read that blue is full spectrum (gets the thumbs up), then you have UVB (low levels) and UVA, red??, purple night light?? etc.

Another is, do I need any supplements such as calcium for them? so far I think not since they get everything from their food and thats what I have read so far but I'd like to hear from you the experienced keepers how you house your Antaresia for optimal health?

Any help is much appreciated and I will probably find more in the book as I finish reading it tomorrow.

I hate Tubs, this is just me but I only use a tub to transport one of them to and from places we need to go such as a Vet. I used a small enclosure and moved them up to a bigger one when they grew some. I now have 3 Stimson Pythons and a Murray Darling Carpet Python, all live in enclosures big enough for them to move around and climb if they want. They all have UVB globes and heat mats, also each have two hides, one warm and the other cool. They like to travel between the two as they regulate their heat. I also have a Laser Thermometer so I can get a proper reading of heat, I think the readouts on the Thermostats are wrong and have proven that fact to myself. Their lights stay on for 12 hours on and 12 hours off (7am to 7pm). I make sure all my Snakes and Lizard are handled every two days so they remember my smell and keep our relationship strong. All of my Snakes are very happy and wouldn't hurt a fly, they know when they are going to come out to play and often tap on the glass with their noses for me to come and get them out. You will have a great relationship with your new reptilian children.

I hate Tubs, this is just me but I only use a tub to transport one of them to and from places we need to go such as a Vet. I used a small enclosure and moved them up to a bigger one when they grew some. I now have 3 Stimson Pythons and a Murray Darling Carpet Python, all live in enclosures big enough for them to move around and climb if they want. They all have UVB globes and heat mats, also each have two hides, one warm and the other cool. They like to travel between the two as they regulate their heat. I also have a Laser Thermometer so I can get a proper reading of heat, I think the readouts on the Thermostats are wrong and have proven that fact to myself. Their lights stay on for 12 hours on and 12 hours off (7am to 7pm). I make sure all my Snakes and Lizard are handled every two days so they remember my smell and keep our relationship strong. All of my Snakes are very happy and wouldn't hurt a fly, they know when they are going to come out to play and often tap on the glass with their noses for me to come and get them out. You will have a great relationship with your new reptilian children.

That is exactly what I have done. I have the little one now and it is very active, healthy and the breeder gave me its feeding patterns/dates etc. So far it has just been climbing and exploring. I have 2 water dishes (one in the corner of the hot area and one in the cool). kritter litter bedding, 100w basking globe, URS UV light, heated hide and normal hide, branch, synthetic rock wall which it has been climbing non stop, 2 thermometers for accurate reading and the light cages. also bought the water purifier and reptile enclosure cleaner.

DSC_0240-540x960.JPG

DSC_0239-960x540.JPG

Is that the reptile one 120x60x60 enclosure?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

At that age, you might be better off keeping it in a tub, with a heat mat or heat cord. That way you can get your tank right.
I understand where your coming from and I have a tub ready just in case the big enclosure freaks it out. I just wanted to make sure it has the best of everything I can give. it is about 30cm long now, strong, no deformities, clear eyes, no mites, no wheezing. from what I read in the book this is a healthy python and the breeder has done well to make sure of that. I am still open to what everyone has to say because I am still inexperienced compared to you guys and girls and don't want to get ahead of myself and miss something important.

thanks for the help all.

Is that the reptile one 120x60x60 enclosure?

nope the next best thing 90x45x45. I wouldn't want something that big for such a little tucker haha. I bought this one for several reasons..
1. I hopefully won't have to buy a bigger enclosure again for the stimsons.
2. it was recommended by multiple people (on this forum and in store also in store it wasn't the most expensive so it rules out salesman)
3. An enclosure this size suited what I needed and what I believe is good for a growing stimsons.

I still have a little 30x20x20 tub if this enclosure proves too much for the little one. I came prepared but so far it has just been climbing the back wall end to end and now is under the heat rock.

Ok thanks. I'm looking to upgrade from the click clack for my stimpsons and get a bigger tank for my bearded dragon as well that size might be the go

When she/he is settled in i will post a video of the first feed in my care and some photos. honestly can't wait, the temperament reminds me a lot of the spotted python I had as a kid. Not aggressive, always curious and hopefully an easy feeder (breeder said it was and the feed dates show that).

Ok thanks. I'm looking to upgrade from the click clack for my stimpsons and get a bigger tank for my bearded dragon as well that size might be the go

You probably already know the enclosure but URS do a nice one around the same size with fittings attached for $269. I have a reptile one enclosure which came with a fitting, light cage and 2 cave background panels for an extra 20. It just comes down to what suits you and the inhabitant really. My Reptile one enclosure wasn't the best fit to assemble and as a result I ended up taking the sliding panel doors out and putting one big piece in its place. Which might change depending on how annoying it becomes to take the lid on and off to get inside haha.

Ok good to know I'll check them out thanks!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I was wondering if your snake did okay in that size straight away or if you had to use the tub? I have the same size terrarium, currently in the process of putting finishing touches on for either a Stimpson's or a Spotted.

Depends on the age and/or size of your new python. Most experienced keepers on here will recommend a tub for a hatchling or juvenile.

Click Clack FTW! And whilst your new snake is growing, you can work on really decking out his big boy/girl enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back