[urgent] Help Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
50cm :)

Does anyone else have any actual advice regarding enclosure sizes for Sabien?

I did. Housing would be similar to Western and Centralian Blue-tongues. They like a nice hot basking spot, 40-45°C. Best to keep the conditions dry as they don't do well in high humidity. While I don't keep Bobtails now I have kept them extensively in the past.

It seems a little strange to me that a 15 year old kid is posting replies on days and at times when they should be in a class at school (not just today but on previous occasions) . Also seems a little strange that they are replying using a computer or laptop and not messenger or tapatalk.

It's not so strange. When I was in high school I would often sneak onto more interesting websites too when using the computers.

It seems a little strange to me that a 15 year old kid is posting replies on days and at times when they should be in a class at school (not just today but on previous occasions) . Also seems a little strange that they are replying using a computer or laptop and not messenger or tapatalk.
Teenagers tend to use their mobile data when they aren't supposed to also. Speaking from the experience of being a mum to a teenager.

Sabien,

I am glad that you have listened to reason and will separate them before anything happens and both animals are in good health.

Do you have any immediate plans on getting the books recommended? The books have information on enclosures, types of substrate and feeding. They are expensive but necessary, I believe all reptile keepers should own as many books as possible on keeping reptiles in captivity and on reptiles in general. The books should really be purchased before the animal, better late than never. Forewarned is forearmed, knowledge will make you a better keeper.

People did get salty with you, you made them salty because of your unwillingness to listen to reason. When you see a post in which animals are in danger due to negligence, you have to educate the poster of the mistake and recommend a better solution. The harsh treatment was not a personal attack, it was concern for your animals.

I hope that you will stay with APS and that future posts go better for you.

Regards,
Nick

I did. Housing would be similar to Western and Centralian Blue-tongues. They like a nice hot basking spot, 40-45°C. Best to keep the conditions dry as they don't do well in high humidity. While I don't keep Bobtails now I have kept them extensively in the past.

It's not so strange. When I was in high school I would often sneak onto more interesting websites too when using the computers.
Thank you Oshkii, yes I only reply at school because I like to spend my time on Xbox at home. People at school do sneak onto other websites instead of doing work, sometimes they play games and I just browse Gumtree and this.

Sabien,

I am glad that you have listened to reason and will separate them before anything happens and both animals are in good health.

Do you have any immediate plans on getting the books recommended? The books have information on enclosures, types of substrate and feeding. They are expensive but necessary, I believe all reptile keepers should own as many books as possible on keeping reptiles in captivity and on reptiles in general. The books should really be purchased before the animal, better late than never. Forewarned is forearmed, knowledge will make you a better keeper.

People did get salty with you, you made them salty because of your unwillingness to listen to reason. When you see a post in which animals are in danger due to negligence, you have to educate the poster of the mistake and recommend a better solution. The harsh treatment was not a personal attack, it was concern for your animals.

I hope that you will stay with APS and that future posts go better for you.

Regards,
Nick
Thanks Nick, I will try and get as much books as I can. May not be able to get them all straight away but will be able to get them one or two at a time, can you please send me a link to where I can buy them? Thanks. The posts are getting better for me just not the fact that my identity is questioned. I don't see how it's relevant to reptiles and find it a bit weird that a grown man, who is a father goes and starts questioning my age and identity. I do hope to get the books as soon as I can afford them, sorry to those I got salty with, I'm just new with reptiles and when I was given advice that I didn't really like I got a bit upset. But the advice I'm giving now is helping and I am taking it into consideration and will be able to seperate the lizards next year as my sister is moving into a big room we're renovating for her so I will have her room for a game room, I will definitely stay with APS as they offer good advice and will also need advice next year on seperating the lizards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Stompsy and the others. The advice I've been given is helping, I heard you can get heat rocks for them to bask on but also heard they can be a bit bad as they can burn the lizard, would you guys recommend using one or just continue using a heat lamp but have a rock under it?
Heat cord is the way to go if you are going down that kind of route. It's easy to use and you can add or remove as much as needed to get the correct temps.

A heat lamp positioned over a rock is very effective in my experience. I use this type of setup in most of my enclosures.

Heat cord is the way to go if you are going down that kind of route. It's easy to use and you can add or remove as much as needed to get the correct temps.
I'm not really sure what a heat cord does, are they expensive? And what do they do exactly?

A heat lamp positioned over a rock is very effective in my experience. I use this type of setup in most of my enclosures.
Thank you, would a large stone that the stumpy can lay on be alright?

T
To answer your question, Sabien, heat rocks do indeed have a bad reputation; stay away from them. A real rock under the basking spots will help hold the heat.
hank you for that, the beardie has a large stick that he likes to lay on as the heat lamp is right next to it and so it heats the stick up, he likes to be on this a lot. Is this okay? It's not going to burn him at all?

I had a quick question, my beardie isn't eating any fruit or veg. I've read to place it on his favourite basking spot where he licks. I've placed fruit there but he doesn't touch it. I've heard to put live insects with the fruit and veg but he doesn't seem to touch it, I did however place grated carrot in a little bowl for him with these worms at the bottom to hopefully attract him, the grated carrot was spread across the tank a bit but I'm not sure if he ate a bit or if it was the stumpy. If I mix dog food with the grated carrot would he eat it? I've heard people feed their lizards dog food, dog food that is fed to lizards can't contain fish is that right? Is there anything else I should be aware of when feeding them dog food?

Keep offering the beardie fruit and veg; he should start eating it eventually. Mix it up with different things each day. Some people feed dog food to bluetongues and shinglebacks, but don't feed it to the beardie. Stick to crickets and woodies for him.

Than
Keep offering the beardie fruit and veg; he should start eating it eventually. Mix it up with different things each day. Some people feed dog food to bluetongues and shinglebacks, but don't feed it to the beardie. Stick to crickets and woodies for him.
Thank you, I've been feeding him woodies and crickets but I'm just worried that he may not be eating fruit or veg. I'm hoping he will soon though but is it bad if he doesn't?

Juvenile beardies eat mainly live food, unless the breeder has introduced fruit and veg from the start. As they grow, they will eat more fruit and veg, and it will become their staple, and you only need to feed live food two or three times a week when they are adults.

Thank you, would a large stone that the stumpy can lay on be alright?

Yes, generally large, flat rocks that the lizards can comfortably position themselves on are best. You need to be careful, however, in how you place the rock. You want it to be in a firm place where it cannot be knocked over by the inhabitants and potentially crush them. Likewise, you want the rock to be based on the enclosure's floor, and not on top of the substrate. Otherwise, the lizards may bury under it and become crushed. Remember, large rocks in enclosures can be dangerous, but if you set them up right they not only prove to be a pleasant, natural decoration, they also absorb the heat from the lamp and hold it. Even when the lights are turned off the rock will still contain the heat and the lizards will benefit from this. This can be done with branches as well, but they're nowhere near as good as absorbing and holding the heat. Also, with branches there's the added risk of starting a fire. Be sure that your enclosure can cope with the weight of the rock as they can be very heavy.

skinkrockaps.jpg

Here's an example of a rock used as a basking site (and because I shamelessly love to share my photos). It may not be based on the enclosure's floor but it's firmly in place.

Juvenile beardies eat mainly live food, unless the breeder has introduced fruit and veg from the start. As they grow, they will eat more fruit and veg, and it will become their staple, and you only need to feed live food two or three times a week when they are adults.
Yeah I did read online that when they're adults their diet becomes 80% fruit and veg and 20% live insects. So the beardie will start eating it later on? There's nothing I should be worried about?

Yes, generally large, flat rocks that the lizard can comfortably position themselves on are best. You need to be careful, however, in how you place the rock. You want it to be in a firm place where it cannot be knocked over by the inhabitants and potentially crush them. Likewise, you want the rock to be based on the enclosure's floor, and not on top of the substrate. Otherwise, the lizards may bury under it and become crushed. Remember, large rocks in enclosures can be dangerous, but if you set them up right they not only prove to be a pleasant, natural decoration, they also absorb the heat from the lamp and hold it. Even when the lights are turned off the rock will still contain the heat and the lizards will benefit from this. This can be done with branches as well, but they're nowhere near as good as absorbing and holding the heat. Also, with branches there's the added risk of starting a fire. Be sure that your enclosure can cope with the weight of the rock as they can be very heavy.

View attachment 320317

Here's an example of a rock used as a basking site (and because I shamelessly love to share my photos). It may not be based on the enclosure's floor but it's firmly in place.
Thanks for that, it looks like a very nice enclosure by the way, I placed the stone in there but buried it into the sand so hopefully the shingle back can't dig under it. The stick is a grapevine tree branch I think, also what kind of lizard is that? It seems like a blue tongue but I'm not sure

I think I said it above, but keep offering different things each day. Sooner or later, you will find something it will eat. But continue to offer different things, as variety is important.
Bok choy (or other Asian greens), green beans, green peas, carrot, strawberries, grated apple, diced capsicum, butternut, zucchini are all good options. Try and make sure you always have colour in the bowl. Beardies are attracted to the colours.

Thanks for that, it looks like a very nice enclosure by the way, I placed the stone in there but buried it into the sand so hopefully the shingle back can't dig under it. The stick is a grapevine tree branch I think, also what kind of lizard is that? It seems like a blue tongue but I'm not sure

Thank you. One of the many joys of keeping reptiles is decorating their enclosures. Make sure the rock is positioned on the enclosure's floor, not just buried in the sand. It's a King's Skink (Egernia kingii). One of my favourite lizards.

Phew, I have never posted so much in a day before.

Thank you Oshkii, yes I only reply at school because I like to spend my time on Xbox at home. People at school do sneak onto other websites instead of doing work, sometimes they play games and I just browse Gumtree and this.

Thanks Nick, I will try and get as much books as I can. May not be able to get them all straight away but will be able to get them one or two at a time, can you please send me a link to where I can buy them? Thanks. The posts are getting better for me just not the fact that my identity is questioned. I don't see how it's relevant to reptiles and find it a bit weird that a grown man, who is a father goes and starts questioning my age and identity. I do hope to get the books as soon as I can afford them, sorry to those I got salty with, I'm just new with reptiles and when I was given advice that I didn't really like I got a bit upset. But the advice I'm giving now is helping and I am taking it into consideration and will be able to seperate the lizards next year as my sister is moving into a big room we're renovating for her so I will have her room for a game room, I will definitely stay with APS as they offer good advice and will also need advice next year on seperating the lizards.

Hi Sabien,

The Amazing Amazon site sells many good books.
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/re.../reptile-frog-lizard-pythons-snake-books.html

Regards,
Nick

Are you including calcium and multivitamins in both animals diets?

Thank you. One of the many joys of keeping reptiles is decorating their enclosures. Make sure the rock is positioned on the enclosure's floor, not just buried in the sand. It's a King's Skink (Egernia kingii). One of my favourite lizards.

Phew, I have never posted so much in a day before.
Haha it's a nice lizard, I've positioned it on the enclosures floor but have made sure the lizards can't bury under it or get stuck

Hi Sabien,

The Amazing Amazon site sells many good books.
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/re.../reptile-frog-lizard-pythons-snake-books.html

Regards,
Nick
Thanks nick I'll speak to my mum about getting them
one of my beardies favourite foods is blueberries,also try strawberries or even kiwi fruit,bananas in small amounts are also good.check out my favourite site.. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
these are also good for your other lizard
Thank you for that, I will try them fruits

Are you including calcium and multivitamins in both animals diets?
Yeah, I've been including that for both of them

I quite like chameleons as they can change colour. I've seen videos of people putting coloured glasses on or under the chameleon and it changes to that colour. I must say they're quite extraordinary lizards as I don't know any other lizards like them and the fact that they can change colour and patterns is really cool. What is everyone's favourite type of lizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back