First Snake: Baby Or 'bombproof'?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!
I'm fairly new to reptile keeping too, got my first snake in January!
I currently have a childrens python, stimpsons python and an albino darwin python, all hatchlings and they have been very kind to me while I've been learning!
My stimi has never snapped, can be handled while in shed if needed, the childrens was a little snappy at first but settled pretty quickly and is now a dream to handle.
Both have been so tolerant of my rookie errors while learning : )
My darwin took the longest to settle, she still has the odd snap but nothing to write home about and ,again, a very tolerant snake with any husbandry errors I have made (I try not to make too many buy hey, sometimes they do happen)
From a fellow newbie to another I can say that these three snakes have been a wonderful introduction to reptile keeping and I am officially hooked!

I can also vouch for (most) Albino Darwins being very placid (for want of a better word). My boy I got a year ago as a hatchy and he has been great with being handled, feeds like a champ and was calm from day 1. I did specifically ask for a really placid one.

I would definitely say a hatchy. I purchase for my first I got a Coastal Carpet Python and had about as much experience as you. Did all the research but wasn't sure if I should get such a large snake for my first but that was the Python I had always loved as a kid and not knowing if I was going to have more than one I got the one I really wanted. It definitely has given me more confidence getting him as a hatchy as I've been able to learn his behaviour and build my confidence. Although remember they live for many years so if your future involves moving interstate/overseas maybe an older one would suit?? There are many things to consider when buying any new
Pet. Good luck and spend the time choosing the one for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, a member who is a breeder has offeres to let us come over and learn how to feed them and handle some
Young ones, we're really looking forward to it!

Just thought i'd post an update! We now have 2 beautiful girls! A 3month old
Albino darwin and an 18 month old cape york!
They are gorgeous and took their first feed well! Handling great :) loving it!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back