How Often Do Snakes Shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSquat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a female Woma that shed about a month ago. Today, after a few days of inactivity I noticed her eyes cloudy again, similar to pre-shed last time. How often do they shed? Is it harmful to shed so often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My woma male shed 7 times this past summer roughly one shed every 3 weeks . Just a growth spurt , nothing to worry about ..I hardly seen him as he would eat then hide in he's cave for s few weeks then come out again with a new skin. Seems to be back to normal now though .
He is about 2 years old if that helps ...

Sloughing every 3 weeks IMO is not typical.
I'm not saying it's wrong but to me it would suggest some external factor is driving this.

My stimsons has shed a lot more frequently since the summer, a combination of a couple of degrees higher ambient temps seems to put its metabolism into overdrive :)

I thought the same but I took him to get looked at and all was good. Spoke to a few others that had similar situations .( not as much shedding but more then usual )

I had a huge situation with mites a couple of years ago when I STUPIDLY (I have not forgiven myself) handled my old snakes after handling a new hatchy after getting him from a breeder. UGHH! MITES! They all seemed to go funny with shedding - as in once every 4 weeks, 3 times! I was confused and discovered they had mites, so I got rid of them. So maybe mites?

Definitely not mites (had those previously but many months ago) She did shed today and seems to be back to her normal self. I think perhaps a growth spurt as I have been feeding regularly, probably more consistently than previous owner.

My young De grey 18 month old female woma seems to shed frequently, though sometimes her eyes just look a bit cloudy for a few days then clear up without going through an actual shed. Would people suggest I set up a sphagnum moss hide, for extra humidity or I am looking into trying to install some kind of water heater into the tub of water she has that I hoped she would choose to soak in. Thanks for any advice.She has an inside cage with things to rub on and a large outside pen with hollow logs and sandpits that she uses a few times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back