Woma Scales Coming Off

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSquat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My female Woma shed about a week ago. Initially she looked fine but now she had a large section of patchy looking scales on top of her head and down her back. It looks like the scales are just breaking off as I can see them on my fingers when I handle her. She is very active in her enclosure and still feeding okay. Perhaps she is just rubbing herself against something but I'm not sure. I've attached some pictures. Can anyone assist? PS it's not mites nor burns; she is on a heat mat set at about 30 degrees.
5ef73e0a39c360adedd09d4f1915cabb.jpg
f03ca3ef69810d581e45d5dd37a36f64.jpg
e7d74010b41263c64698b24e6efd426e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Put her in a plastic tub for a few hours with paper towel on the bottom of it and give her a decent gentle spray with some warm water. The paper towel will absorb any excess and aid in helping the stuck shed to come off naturally. Oh and make sure you have air holes in the tub too!

Last edited:
I'll give this a try. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, very good point SKYWALKR ... With womas, since they are a desert species, you do not want to soak them in a bath, just a light misting on some paper towel would be perfect!

Update: tried the warm water spray which didn't seem to do much. She is still very patchy looking which extends down the back about 5 inches but it doesn't look red, swollen or infected. I'm still not sure it is bad shed; almost like a colour change?? Anyway I'll keep a good eye on her, she's slowing right down now as I'm decreasing temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back