Love My Aussie Gal.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primo

Reaction score
It has been warming here, and the snakes have been active. I'm a multi-species keeper. I'm not a breeder or an expert, just a guy that loves nature and snakes. After buying my son a royal 5 years ago for his birthday I convinced my wife to let me get a boa constrictor, and then a carpet python and finally a reticulated SDxdwarf.

I could never pick a favorite, though my boa is VERY special. This girl here is also a snake that deserves a special place on the favorites list.

Morelia fans,,, this is a coastal carpet mix of some type. I bought her for almost nothing and didn't care what she was, although I did want a coastal for size. She was beautiful to me form day one. I especially enjoy Mother Nature colors and patterns and was not after a morph or anything shocking. She did have the cleanest, most bright pattern of the bunch but was also the largest.

Here we are almost 3 years later and I have a semi large, healthy girl here named Jewel.

She's closing in on 7 feet long and is a terrible eater. She is also the nicest, most curious, friendly snake here. There really is something about Aussie snakes when it comes to social behavior IMO. I've heard this from more than one person.

These photos were taken less than an hour ago. Enjoy Jewel,,,, again LOL!
fullsizeoutput_4782.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_477f.jpeg

She can eat huge items but prefers to be fed once every 2 months. Usually 2 large rats. 1 live to get her excited and the next she is OK with F/t.
fullsizeoutput_477b.jpeg

Close up she is fascinating.
fullsizeoutput_4781.jpeg

Honestly I don't know what she is mixed with, I'm just happy to own her.
fullsizeoutput_477d.jpeg

Folks,,,, there is nothing like a good carpet python!!
fullsizeoutput_4780.jpeg

It's a sad state of affairs that it's nearly impossible to guarantee a pure carpet type over there. Still, a magnificent looking animal.

Looks to be a healthy, happy, beautiful snake. You love her, you're proud to be keeping her, and that's all that matters. No need to worry about her bloodlines or origins at all.

It's a sad state of affairs that it's nearly impossible to guarantee a pure carpet type over there. Still, a magnificent looking animal.
You know I have to agree with you 100% on that.

Over here there are some very "locality oriented" folks when it comes to boa constrictors, I'm one of them and I own a beautiful, Barranquilla, Colombian boa. There are the Suriname boa folks, I love Suri boas and that group can be almost cult-like, and there are the Central American boa lovers.

Obviously there are morphs that are mixed and matched in the boa hobby but there are hardcore locality folks preserving the wild type boas.

Somehow, other than a very few, everybody missed the boat with carpets. Maybe it was due to import/export laws, or maybe people didn't see the value. I don't know.

What I do know, is that I wish I had an idea where my girl came from. Coastal?? Yeah probably, jungle??? maybe in the mix. One of the parents looks diamond or has some traits of a diamond. The mother was closing in on the 10 foot mark the last I spoke to the breeder but she was a rescue. She was found in a bag on the side of a highway I'm told.

So while I do love my "coasty mutt", I'm very much a fan of the carpets in the wild.

You guys live in the python Capital of the world and I feel preserving what's real does have some value.

No knock on morphs, I just prefer Mother Nature I guess.

Excuse the rant, I just agree with pine family's quote.

Last edited:
No need to apologize mate, you're preaching to the converted (mostly) on this forum when it comes to pure types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back