R1 Elapids - Where To Get One In Nsw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remi_014

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been having troubles finding breeder of R1 Elapids in NSW. I would prefer a Yellow-faced Whip, but more for upgrading purposes so any R1 would suffice. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm almost 90% sure you can't get any elapid on a R1 license?

At the moment the entire NSW reptile keeping system is under review, with significant reclassifying of, and within, categories. It will interesting to see the outcomes as they evolve, as I believe it will include a considerable licence-exempt list, but I doubt very much that it will include any elapids.

Jamie

Thx jamie.

Alex, I have a complete species list for NSW and there are about 3 elapid species for R1 (including Yellow-faced Whip), otherwise how can you upgrade to R2 Elapid?
Trouble is finding a supplier to be able to hold one for 2yrs for upgrade. My goal is RBB but I get the feeling I won't stop at R3.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I should wait to see what changes come in for NSW before I actually purchase.

Correction: 4x Elapids [emoji6]
00d49815e5aaccfc904b3062e77ece53.jpg

11x - I'm an idiot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah whoops, hence why i said 90% ahaha! There is this website i found which has elapid breeders, Ill find it now for you

In my opinion, none of those are close to R3 elapids so the requirement to own them is just stupid. Add to that the fact that they are so hard to find, you should be able to word your application in the right way to get the upgrade without having to start with something you don't even really want anyway. That's how I did it (granted it was a long time ago now).

Hey all, R1 elapids are fairly hard to come by through public sales. A while ago I was lucky enough to score a yellow faced whip through a public sale, however I was fairly sure after purchase it was wild caught and bodged onto the books given it's condition and behaviour. All other public sales of whippies I've seen since then are dubious to say the least.

With that said, there are a number of sexed pairs pairs floating around. I have been told there is someone in Coffs Harbour with some, a breeder in Victoria as well as a contact of mine in SA who has recently acquired a breeding pair that have bred before (I can't provide you with their details as they have asked me to not pass those one. My apologies). With that said in the coming years I think they'll start to become more prevalent due to the rise in popularity around them, the main issue with them is they are finicky to get feeding on rodents (and more finicky to keep feeding on rodents) and take a lot of effort as neonates. A lot of people that have them can't justify breeding them due to the effort, which I have been told is time consuming.

Another species that are more common in ways are De Vis Banded snakes, I've seen a few of them floating around (never kept them personally) and I've been told they are a good first R1 elapid by a few people. I also know people have marshies, but I've never seen a public sale for them.

As I understand it, you don't actually need to keep R1 or R2 elapids to move onto R3. If your application meets the criteria and you have good references you should be fine. It's also advisable to do a recognised venomous snake course as that looks really good on your application (I've done John Mostyn's one and would recommend it personally).

As for the license changes, the last application put forward (I've seen) had all elapids on license not on an exempt list. However there was some feedback from people that disapproved of the idea that you can keep a whipsnake on the same class of license as Hoplo, so I think that may come into review.

Hope that helps!

the way I read it is you have to have held a similar animal prior to getting an upgrade.
I had beardies (R1) and that qualified me to get an upgrade to Boyds (R2) because both are dragons.
I have Stimsons,so that qualifies me to upgrade to RBB (R3) because both are snakes even though I have no experience with elapids.

It is a shame they are quite rare, if I were in NSW I would love some Golden Crowns, Dwyers, YFW etc. but unfortunately a lot of R1 elapids are wild caught, and sometimes die due to disease (I knew a guy with a DeVis Banded snake who turned out to be wild caught and died on the second day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back